The purpose of the Advancing Access to Justice (AA2J) Special Committee is to promote law librarians and legal information professionals and their vital role in access to justice by providing timely authoritative legal information resources and services. Additionally, access to justice is key to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in the legal system. By completing its charge, the special committee will advance AALL’s core values including its commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and efforts; equitable and permanent public access to trustworthy legal information; and continuous improvement in access to justice.
The committee shall:
- update the AALL State Online Legal Information.
- evaluate and recommend AALL member generated and other public resources into a single public facing page on AALLNET. Options may include:
- incorporating a directory of public law libraries nationwide (please see this map as a template)
- Incorporating some or all of the technology principles as discussed in the Law Libraries and Access to Justice white paper
- incorporating a list of libraries/law libraries that answer prisoner legal questions by working with the SR-SIS to update existing materials.
- recommend ways to promote legal information resources to the public. This may include identifying partners for outreach to promote law librarians, law libraries, public tools, and resources.
*Progress report submitted as an agenda item for the Fall Executive Board Meeting on November 5 and 6, 2021.
*Preliminary report outlining recommendations and accomplishments submitted as an agenda item for the Spring Executive Board Meeting on April 8 and 9, 2022.
*Final report submitted to the President by May 31, 2022.
*Please note the deadline for submitting agenda items for Board meetings takes place about a month before the Board meeting.