To support the career development and continuing professional education needs of members in accordance with the AALL Professional Education Policy in programming outside the Annual Meeting.
To achieve this purpose, the Continuing Professional Education Committee will:
- continuously advise, advocate, support and encourage AALL continuing professional education efforts outside of the Annual Meeting
- work in collaboration with the AALL director of education to further develop and maintain the Continuing Professional Education policy
- promote and support development of continuing professional education programming by members and association entities
- educate and inform members about the Continuing Professional Education Program and publicize opportunities
- use available technologies to bring programming to members
- monitor and evaluate continuing professional education trends, education efforts and developments, and new technologies of the library and larger community
- study costs and pursue ways to provide quality, affordable programming for members
The regular work of the Continuing Professional Education Committee is centered on the AALL/Bloomberg Law Continuing Education Grants Program, which has four rounds – two in the fall, and two in the spring, and all members review applications consisting of one to two hours of work. Members participate in a conference call to discuss the applications and vote. The minimum time commitment for all committee members is around three hours, approximately once a quarter, for an annual minimum of 12 hours. In addition, a subgroup meets to work on webinar topics/speakers to offer to headquarters. The members of that group rotate and contribute probably five to 10 hours of work to the project, including conference calls. The committee writes announcements about the AALL2go programs for the monthly E-newsletter. Members should also plan time to meet at the Annual Meeting. Note: Time commitments are estimates from past assignments and can change with new projects or requests for assistance from the Executive Board.
Membership on the committee shall normally be for two years, except that the vice chair and chair will each serve three years. The returning member selected as vice chair at the end of the first year shall serve in that capacity in the second year, and become the chair of the committee for an additional third year.
The committee shall normally consist of a chair, a vice chair, seven members, and a non-voting Executive Board liaison and staff liaison. The chair of the Annual Meeting Program Committee will serve as an ex officio member.
STRATEGIC DIRECTIONS COMPLIANCE
- Goal I: Knowledge
- Goal II: Community
- Goal III: Leadership
RELATIONSHIP TO OTHER COMMITTEES/STRUCTURES
The Continuing Professional Education Committee will work collaboratively with other AALL committees, SISs, chapters, and other entities to provide support to education programs outside of the annual meeting. The chair of the Continuing Professional Education Committee serves as an ex-officio member of the Annual Meeting Program Committee, and the chair of the Annual Meeting Program Committee serves as an ex-officio member of the Continuing Professional Education Committee. The director of education and other AALL staff will act as a bridge to the efforts and initiatives of both committees.