To support the career development and continuing professional education needs of members in accordance with the AALL Professional Education Policy in programming outside the AALL Annual Meeting.
To achieve this purpose, the Continuing Professional Education Committee will:
- continuously advise, advocate, support and encourage AALL continuing professional education efforts outside of the AALL Annual Meeting
- work in collaboration with the AALL staff to further develop and maintain the Continuing Professional Education policy
- ensure content, topics and programs align with the criteria set out on the AALL Body of Knowledge
- promote and support development of continuing professional education programming by members and association entities
- assist in the development of ongoing education opportunities including webinars, courses, eLearning modules, and other educational programming
- educate and inform members about the Continuing Professional Education Program and publicize opportunities
- use available technologies to bring programming to members
- monitor and evaluate continuing professional education trends, education efforts and developments, and new technologies of the library and larger community
- study costs and pursue ways to provide quality, affordable programming for members
The regular work of the Continuing Professional Education Committee occurs on a year-round basis to bring education opportunities to the membership. The committee is comprised of subcommittees who carry out the work including an elearning subcommittee, a webinar subcommittee, and other subcommittees, as needed or assigned. The committee collaborates with other AALL entities to support education. The committee writes announcements about the AALL2go programs for the monthly Education Update. Members should also plan time to meet at the AALL Annual Meeting. The minimum time commitment for all committee members is around one to three hours a month for an annual minimum of 12 hours. Members of the subcommittees may contribute approximately five to 10 hours of work to ongoing projects, including conference calls (varies by year). Note: Time commitments are estimates from past assignments and can change with new projects or requests for assistance from the Executive Board.
Membership on the committee shall be for two years, with the exception of the vice chair and chair who will each serve for three years. The returning member selected as vice chair at the end of the first year shall serve in that capacity in the second year, and become the chair of the committee for an additional third year.
The committee shall normally consist of a chair, a vice chair, 13 members, and a non-voting Executive Board liaison and staff liaison. The chair of the Annual Meeting Program Committee will serve as an ex officio member.
STRATEGIC DIRECTIONS COMPLIANCE
- Goal I: Talent
- Goal II: Engagement
- Goal III: Alliances
RELATIONSHIP TO OTHER COMMITTEES/STRUCTURES
The Continuing Professional Education Committee will work collaboratively with other AALL committees, SISs, chapters, and other entities to provide support to education programs outside of the AALL Annual Meeting. The chair of the Continuing Professional Education Committee serves as an ex-officio member of the Annual Meeting Program Committee, and the chair of the Annual Meeting Program Committee serves as an ex-officio member of the Continuing Professional Education Committee. The Director of Education and other AALL staff will act as a bridge to the efforts and initiatives of both committees.