HURRICANE HARVEY: SUPPORTING OUR MEMBERS AND RELIEF EFFORTS
Hurricane Harvey has brought devastation to the residents of Texas. Rescue operations are still underway, flood waters are not expected to peak until Wednesday or Thursday, and FEMA estimates that 30,000 need temporary shelter.
As many of you know, my family and I live in Houston. At this point, we have been lucky and have made it through without any flooding or damages. For our members affected by the hurricane, our thoughts are with you and your families during this tragedy. We hope that you are safe and have shelter and food. It is a daunting time for Texans and will be for some time. If there is anything that AALL can do, please reach out to us at 312.205.8022 or via email. I am contacting the leadership of the Houston Area Law Libraries (HALL) to identify any specific needs on the local level.
To our members outside of Texas, FEMA has asked all Americans to assist in this disaster through donations or search and rescue efforts; below are some recommendations on how to help and information from the New York Times today.
- Donations to the Red Cross for those affected by Harvey can be made online or by texting HARVEY to 90999.
- Donations to the Salvation Army can be made online [or by texting STORM to 51555].
- Donations to Catholic Charities can be made online or by texting CCUSADISASTER to 71777.
- Donations to the United Way can be made by texting UWFLOOD to 41444.
- Before you donate to a charity, make sure you know where your aid is going. The Center for International Disaster Information recommends checking with a charity monitoring organization like GiveWell, Charity Navigator, Charity Watch, or the Better Business Bureau before donating.
- “Helping Out After Hurricane Harvey: Where, What & How To Donate” includes information on donating blood, fostering pets, and corporations that are matching donations, etc.
The devastation in Texas is unprecedented and my heart goes out to all those affected. And again to our colleagues in Texas, be safe and let AALL know if we can offer assistance in the days and weeks ahead.