The AALL Grants Program provides financial assistance to experienced law librarians who are actively involved in AALL or its chapters and to newer law librarians or graduate students who hold promise of future involvement in AALL and the law library profession. Funds are provided by AALL, AALL individual members, and vendors.
Individuals eligible for the Experienced Member Grant are active members with five or more years of AALL or AALL chapter membership. Individuals eligible for the Student/New Member Grant are active members with less than five years of AALL or AALL chapter membership or student members of AALL or an AALL chapter.
Since the 2021 Annual Meeting transitioned to a virtual conference, anyone who applies for a grant for the 2021 Annual Meeting (regardless of whether they receive the grant) is eligible to apply for a grant for the 2022 AALL Annual Meeting and Conference in Denver, Colorado.
An applicant must meet all of the following criteria to be considered for the award:
- be a member or student member of AALL or an AALL chapter;
- not have received a grant in the past three years;
- submit a timely and complete application.
*If circumstances prevent a recipient from using the grant, it reverts to the jury; however, the recipient remains eligible to apply another year.
Submit one complete application package with the following items:
- a complete, legible application form;
- two letters of recommendation that comment on your potential to contribute to AALL and the field of law librarianship and address your need for the grant; and
- a current resume is strongly suggested.
For suggestions in writing effective personal statements, and having references write strong letters of recommendation, applicants can take a look at the hints contained in the following two articles:
- “Putting Your Best Foot Forward: Writing effective personal statements for AALL Annual Meeting/workshop grants” by Michele Finerty
- “Lending a Hand: Suggestions for writing better letters of recommendation for AALL Annual Meeting/workshop grants” by Pauline Afuso
The complete application package must be emailed to Heidi Letzmann by May 1, 2021.