EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT SKILLS / REGISTRATION CLOSES TOMORROW
- Tuesday, October 3 – Friday, October 27, 2017
- Register by Friday, September 29
- Members – $325 / Nonmembers – $488
As a legal information professional, it is important to position yourself and your organization for long-term success. Designed to help you excel and grow as a strong asset to your organization, this four-week online course will provide you with tools to improve your management effectiveness, manage change and resolve conflict, build relationships and cultivate brand value with key stakeholders, and learn how to “know the business” of those you serve and what’s important to them. Attendees will also learn from experts in the field, engage with a small group of fellow peers, and learn practical skills that can be applied immediately.
COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE FOUNDATIONS PROGRAM
- Friday, October 27 / 9:00 a.m. (CDT)
- Register by Tuesday, October 2
- Sidley Austin LLP / Chicago, IL
- Members – $450 / Nonmembers – $675
- Attendance is limited to 40 attendees
Want to be a strategic legal information professional that helps create a competitive edge for your organization? This one-day program, led by Zena Applebaum, director of professional firm customer segments with Thomson Reuters in Canada, is designed to prepare professionals for establishing and maintaining a competitive intelligence (CI) function for a law firm. Attendees will also learn how to create processes and learn effective analysis frameworks they can apply within their organization.
Q&A WITH ZENA APPLEBAUM
Learn more about how Applebaum began her career in CI, why this is an important skill set for legal information professionals, and how you can benefit from attending this program. Need a primer on CI? Read Zena’s article “Competitive Intelligence and Your Library: 10 Best Practices,” published in the September/October 2016 issue of AALL Spectrum.
2018 AALL LEADERSHIP ACADEMY / APPLICATIONS DUE NOVEMBER 6
- Friday and Saturday, April 13-14, 2018
- Hyatt Lodge, Oak Brook, IL
- Open to: AALL members with up to 10 years of experience
- Cost: $699
- Apply by November 6
The application process for the 2018 AALL Leadership Academy is now open. The Academy will equip you with essential leadership skills, strategies to handle leadership challenges, and tools to build your career as an effective leader. Review the Academy requirements and application information, and request a professional recommendation from someone who is familiar with your work, projects, and skills.
LAST CHANCE TO PROPOSE A PROGRAM FOR AALL 2018
The Call for Proposals for the 2018 AALL Annual Meeting & Conference is open through next Monday, October 2. Inspired by the program ideas AALL members shared this summer, the Annual Meeting Program Committee (AMPC) compiled a list of “must-have” program topics that AALL members have identified as being vital to their professional education. Get valuable speaking and/or program development experience and make an impact on your profession.
Propose a program! Explore the Information for Program Proposers section of AALLNET, and use the online Program and Workshop Proposal Collection site to develop your proposal, share it with your colleagues, and submit it online by October 2. The AMPC will evaluate all proposals using a comprehensive rubric focusing on their relevance and description. We look forward to receiving your proposals.
COMPLIMENTARY AALL 2017 SESSION RECORDINGS AVAILABLE
At this summer’s AALL Annual Meeting & Conference in Austin, attendees gathered to learn, network, and share knowledge. As an AALL member, you can access the educational session recordings, whether you joined us in Austin or not. Take advantage of this complimentary member benefit–ways to “forgo the status quo” are just a few clicks away.
MAKING THE MOST OF IT: TIPS AND TRICKS FOR EFFICIENT IR MANAGEMENT
- Wednesday, October 25 / 11:00 a.m. (CDT)
- Register by Friday, October 20
- Members – Free / Nonmembers – $60
Managing an institutional repository (IR) can be an exciting and rewarding responsibility. In this webinar, colleagues experienced in IR management will discuss several challenges and present tips and tools they’ve used to successfully tackle them. Experts will discuss efficiency and output geared toward results, along with methods to get the most use out of information collected for IR–structuring it for multi-use purposes and approaches for getting crucial information from faculty authors. In addition, participants are encouraged to share instruments and methods they use to enhance the efficiency of their IR management.
CALL FOR WEBINAR PROPOSALS
AALL invites you to contribute to a great community of experts by providing trends, best practices, and innovations on a broad range of topics that will inspire your colleagues across the profession. Send us your ideas for speakers or submit a webinar proposal.
Webinar ideas and proposals are now being accepted for winter and spring. Check AALL2go for a list of previously offered webinars.
COMMUNICATING VALUE / RESOURCES ADDED TO AALLNET
As a legal information professional, you understand the value of your work—but do you know how to communicate it? AALL has added a section on Communicating Value to our Knowledge Center that includes additional resources to help you convey your value, as well as your organization’s value, to stakeholders. You’ll find:
- Minute Message Model – Learn how to craft your own message about the importance of your role, and your department’s role, in supporting the work of your organization.
- Sending the Right Message: Finding the Words to Communicate Your Value – A hot topic program from AALL 2017, discover the tools you need to craft your own unique and compelling message.
- Defining ROI: Law Library Best Practices – This white paper provides proven strategies and solutions for demonstrating value and return on investment for libraries.
- The Economic Value of Law Libraries – This research-based study from the AALL Economic Value of Law Librarians Special Committee helps legal information professionals effectively communicate the return on investment they provide to the organizations they serve.
WEBINARS NOW AVAILABLE ON-DEMAND
- Law Librarians as Change Agents: Implementing Sustainability
- Privacy and Security: Getting Beyond the Fear and Hype
- Learning from Crucible Moments: Lessons in Crisis Leadership
PICK OF THE MONTH
Selected by AALL’s Continuing Professional Education Committee
LEARNING FROM CRUCIBLE MOMENTS: LESSONS IN CRISIS LEADERSHIP
Dr. Steven Bell, is known as a respected researcher and university librarian within the field. His qualifications include a PhD in Education, a long list of publications about teaching and technology, and several speaking engagements. In this webinar, Dr. Bell gives a comprehensive overview of competent leadership strategies, highlighting the importance of contacting Human Resources prior to hiring or terminating staff, and discussing the importance of stability, trust, and being reflective in a crisis situation.
Find this and many more continuing education programs and webinars on AALLNET.
FOR THE LEADER IN YOU
As a servant leader, you’re a “servant first”—you focus on the needs of others, especially team members, before you consider your own. You acknowledge other people’s perspectives, give them the support they need to meet their work and personal goals, involve them in decisions, where appropriate, and build a sense of community within your team. This leads to higher engagement, more trust, and stronger relationships with team members and other stakeholders. It can also lead to increased innovation.
Below are some resources that provide ideas and insights into how to be a servant leader:
- “7 Secrets of Servant Leadership that Will Lead You to Success” by Peter Economy
- “Servant Leadership is a Matter of Character” by William Hyslop
- “How to Retain Employees Through Servant Leadership” by Zeynep Ilgaz
For more in-depth reading on the topic:
- The World’s Most Powerful Leadership Principle: How to Become a Servant Leader by James C. Hunter
- Servant Leadership: A Journey into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness 25th Anniversary Edition by Robert K. Greenleaf
- The Bridge to Growth: How Servant Leaders Achieve Better Results and Why It Matters Now More Than Ever by Jude Rake
To encourage all of us to think about leadership, the Leadership Development Committee highlights short articles in the monthly AALL eNewsletter and Education Update. Next month our focus will shift to how great leaders build trust. Have a suggestion or request for a topic? Please email Valerie Aggerbeck.