Skip to content
Hall of Fame Induction: 2010
Significant AALL Service
- President, Southwestern Association of Law Libraries, 1964–65
- Chair, Annual Meeting Local Arrangements Committee, 1968–69
- Chair, Library Exhibits Committee, 1969–70
- Chair, Publicity Committee, 1969–70
- Chair, Placement Committee, 1974–75
- Vice President/President-Elect, 1976–77
- President, 1977–78
- Immediate Past President, 1978–79
Professional Honors and Awards
- Marian Gould Gallagher Distinguished Service Award, 1995
- AALL Hall of Fame, Inaugural Class Inductee, 2010
Selected Publications by the Inductee
- “Legal Aspects of Library Security.” In Security for Libraries: People, Buildings, Collections, edited by Marvine Brand, 83–107. Chicago: American Library Association, 1984 (with Barbara Bintliff).
- “Full-Text vs. Full-Text Plus Editorial Additions: Comparative Retrieval Effectiveness of the LEXIS and WESTLAW Systems,” Legal Reference Services Quarterly 4 (1984): 27–37.
- Introduction to Legal Research: A Layperson’s Guide to Finding the Law. Washington, D.C.: WANT Publishing, 1985.
- Finding the Law: A Workbook on Legal Research for Laypersons. Buffalo, N.Y.: William S. Hein, 1986.
- “Full-Text Revisited,” Legal Reference Services Quarterly 3/4 (1987): 195–97.
- “Memorial, Dan F. Henke (1924–2009),” Law Library Journal 102 (2010): 162–64.
Selected Publications about the Inductee
- Barbara A. Bintliff, “Four Mentors and a Role Model,” in Frank G. Houdek, “Meet My Mentor: A Collection of Personal Reminiscences,” Law Library Journal 91 (1999): 193–94.
- “Al Coco,” in Frank G. Houdek, “AALL History through the Eyes of Its Presidents,” Law Library Journal 98 (2006): 299, 309–11.
- Alfred J. Coco Interview. In An Oral History of Law Librarianship, interviewed by Patrick E. Kehoe, March 11, 2013, videorecording. Spinelli’s Law Library Reference Shelf, HeinOnline.
- Private law practice, San Antonio, Texas, 1960–61
- Librarian and Assistant Professor, St. Mary’s University School of Law, 1962–66
- Librarian and Professor, University of Houston Law Center, 1966–72
- Librarian and Professor, University of Denver College of Law, 1972–94
- Professor Emeritus, University of Denver College of Law, 1994–present
- B.A., University of Texas at Austin, 1956
- J.D., St. Mary’s University of San Antonio, 1960
- M.L.L., University of Washington, 1962
Selected Professional Activities & Achievements (outside law librarianship)
- Admitted to practice, Texas, 1960
- Admitted to practice, Colorado, 1973
- Director, Master of Law Librarianship Program, University of Denver, 1973–87?