Skip to content
Arthur Sydney Beardsley, 1889–1950
Hall of Fame Pioneer / Hall of Fame Induction: 2010
Significant AALL Service
- Executive Board, 1927–28, 1935–37
- Chair, Committee on Education for Law Librarianship, 1935–36
- Vice President, 1937–39
- President, 1939–40
- Chair, Advisory Committee on Education for Law Librarianship, 1943–44
Professional Honors & Awards
- Elected Life Member of AALL, 1949
- AALL Hall of Fame, Inaugural Class (Pioneer), 2010
Selected Publications by Inductee
- “The Law School Library—A Library of Research for Lawyer, Layman, and Legislator,” Law Library Journal 18 (1925): 93–95.
- “A Selected Bibliography of Legal and Other Materials Relating to the National Industrial Recovery Act,” 27 Law Library Journal 27 (1934): 15–30.
- “Law Books and Law Publishers,” Law Library Journal 28 (1935): 51–63.
- Bibliography of Selected Materials Relating to the Legislation of the New Deal. Seattle: University Book Store, 1935 ( with Oscar C. Orman).
- “Education for Law Librarianship,” Bulletin of the American Library Association 30 (1936): 168–77.
- “Code Making in Early Oregon,” Pacific Northwest Quarterly 27 (1936): 30–61.
- Legal Bibliography and the Use of Law Books. Chicago: Foundation Press, 1937.
- Compiling the Territorial Codes of Washington. Seattle: Univ. of Washington Press,1937. (Reprinted from 28 Pacific Northwest Quarterly28 (1937): 53–107.)
- The Codes and Code Makers of Washington, 1889–1937. Seattle: Univ. of Washington Press, 1939. (Reprinted from 30 Pacific Northwest Quarterly 30 (1939): 49–99.)
- Constitution of the State of Washington. Olympia, Wash.: State Printing Office, 1939. (Also editions published 1941, 1943, and 1951.)
- Controversies Over the Location of the Seat of Government in Washington,” Pacific Northwest Quarterly 32 (1941): 239–87, 401–47.
- “University of Washington Law Library Attains 100,000 Volume Mark,” Law Library Journal 37 (1944): 51–63.
- Legal Bibliography and the Use of Law Books. 2d ed. Brooklyn: Foundation Press, 1947 (with Oscar C. Orman).
Selected Publications About Inductee
- [Memorial to] Arthur Sydney Beardsley, 1889–1950,” Law Library Journal 44 (1951): 42–44. [includes bibliography of his writings and publications]
- Johnston, George A. “Our Predecessors and Their Achievements,” Law Library Journal 49 (1956): 138, 145 (profile of Beardsley).
- Vogel, Carissa J. “Rediscovering Dr. Arthur S. Beardsley: A Brief Introduction to His Life and Work,” Legal Reference Services Quarterly 27 (2008): 347–62.
- High School teacher, State of Washington, 1911–15
- Librarian, Camp Lewis, Washington, 1919–22
- Librarian, Puget Sound Navy Yard, Washington, 1918–19
- Law Librarian, University of Washington, 1922–25
- Law Librarian and Lecturer in Law, University of Washington, 1925–32
- Librarian and Associate Professor of Law, University of Washington, 1932–37
- Librarian and Professor of Law, University of Washington, 1937–44
- Practicing Attorney, Seattle, WA 1944–50
- Graduate, Ellensburg Normal School, Ellensburg, WA
- LL.B., University of Washington, 1918
- B.S. (Library Science), University of Washington, 1924
- A.M., University of Washington, 1925
- Ph.D., University of Washington, 1928
Selected Professional Activities & Achievements (Outside AALL)
- Admitted to the Practice of Law, Washington, 1918
- Member, AALS Library Problems Round Table Council, 1934, 1936
- Established first formal academic degree program to train lawyers to become law librarians, University of Washington, 1939