Skip to content
Arthur A. Charpentier, 1919 – 1989
Hall of Fame Induction: 2010
Significant AALL Service
- President, Law Library Association of Greater New York, 1957–58
- Chair, Committee on Microfacsimiles, 1957–58
- Chair, Local Arrangements Committee, 1958–59, 1964–65
- Chair, Nominations Committee, 1959–60
- Chair, Certification Committee, 1961–64
- Executive Board, 1961–63
- Vice President/President-Elect, 1964–65
- President, 1965–66
- Co-Chair, Headquarters Fund Campaign Committee, 1966–67
- Chair, Placement Committee, 1968–70
- Chair, Standards Committee, 1972–73
Professional Honors and Awards
- Marian Gould Gallagher Distinguished Service Award, 1987
- AALL Hall of Fame, Inaugural Class Inductee, 2010
Selected Publications by the Inductee
- Opinions of the Committees on Professional Ethics of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and the New York County Lawyers’ Association, editor. New York: Columbia University Press, 1956.
- The Law in the United States of America: A Selective Bibliographical Guide. New York: New York University Press, 1965 (with Julius J. Marke, Joseph L. Andrews, and William B. Stern).
- The Practice of Law in New York City: A Selective List of Practice Aids for the Busy Lawyer. New York: Practising Law Institute, 1966.
- “American Association of Law Libraries.” In Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science, Allen Kent and Harold Lancour, editors, vol. 1, 224–37. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1968.
- Counsel on Appeal, editor. New York: McGraw-Hill 1968 (with Charles D. Breitel).
- “I Remember Them Well,” Law Library Journal 75 (1982): 270–88 (with Marian G. Gallagher and Julius J. Marke).
Selected Publications about the Inductee
- Anthony P. Grech, “[Memorial] Arthur A. Charpentier,” Law Library Journal 81 (1989): 620–21.
- Patrick E. Kehoe, “Mentors Four,” in Frank G. Houdek, comp., “Meet My Mentor,” Law Library Journal 91(1999): 177, 229–32.
- Sara Sonet, “A Sage, A Model, A Teacher, A Sage: Arthur Charpentier, ” in Frank G. Houdek, comp., “Meet My Mentor,” Law Library Journal 91(1999): 177, 246–47.
- Librarian, Boston University, 1948–50
- Assistant Librarian, Association of the Bar of the City of New York, 1950–57
- Librarian, Association of the Bar of the City of New York, 1957–67
- Librarian, Yale Law School, 1967–70
- Associate Dean and Librarian, Yale Law School, 1970–81
- B.S., Springfield College, 1941
- LL.B., Boston University, 1948
Selected Professional Activities & Achievements (outside AALL)
- Admitted to the Practice of Law, Massachusetts, 1948
- Vice President, International Association of Law Libraries, 1962–65