Skip to content
Francis Gates, 1927 – 2009
Hall of Fame Induction: 2010
Significant AALL Service
- Chair, Recruitment Committee, 1964–66
- Chair, Federal Legislation Committee, 1969–71
- Chair, Statistics Committee, 1969–70
- President, Western Pacific Chapter, 1969–70
- Vice-Chair, Recruitment Committee, 1973–74
- Executive Board, 1974–77
- President-Elect: 1979–80
- President, 1980–81
- Immediate Past President: 1981–82
- Liaison to Association of Legal Administrators, 1983–84
Professional Honors and Awards
- Marian Gould Gallagher Distinguished Service Award, 2001
- AALL Hall of Fame, Inaugural Class Inductee, 2010
Selected Publications by the Inductee
- Law Office Handbook. Berkeley, CA: State Bar of California, Committee on Continuing Education of the Bar, 1962. California Practice Book No. 16. (with others).
- Review of Selected Code Legislation.” Berkeley, CA: University Extension, University of California,1963. (with others) [also 1965 edition].
- Attorneys Guide to California Professional Corporations. Contributor with Carol S. Brosnahan, Editor. Berkeley, CA: California Continuing Education of the Bar, 1969.
- How to Find the Law. Contributor with Morris L. Cohen, General Editor. 7th ed. St. Paul: West, 1976.
- “A Lawyers Midsummer Night’s Reading,” Practical Lawyer 23 (June 1977): 27–40 (with Robert L. Buckwalter).
- “A Lawyer’s 1978 Midsummer Night’s Reading,” Practical Lawyer 24 (July 1978): 51–60 (with Charles Stewart).
- The Private Law Library in the High Tech Era. Contributor. New York: Practising Law Institute, 1983. Commercial Law and Practice Course Handbook Series, No. 308.
- “The Citating Supermarket,” Pts. 1 and 2, Legal Information Alert 3 (1984, No. 4): 1–4; 3 (1984, No. 5): 1–4 (with Marie Wallace).
Selected Publications about the Inductee
- James E. Duggan, “ Gallagher Award Recipients Exemplify Professionalism and Innovation,” AALL Spectrum 5 (June 2001): 4.
- “Francis Gates” in Frank G. Houdek, “AALL History through the Eyes of Its Presidents,” Law Library Journal 98 (2006): 299, 313–15.
- Librarian, Social Science Reference Service, School of Law, University of California Berkeley,1954–60
- Librarian, California Continuing Education of the Bar, 1960–63
- Librarian and Research Attorney, California Continuing Education of the Bar, 1963–69
- Assistant Professor of Law and Associate Law Librarian, University of Southern California, 1970–73
- Professor of Law and Law Librarian, University of Southern California, 1973–75
- Professor of Law and Law Librarian, Columbia University,1975–81
- Librarian, Sedgwick Detert Moran & Arnold, San Francisco, 1982–84
- Circuit Librarian, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1984–91
- A. B., University of California at Berkeley, 1952
- M.L. S., University of California at Berkeley, 1954
- J.D., San Francisco Law School, 1963
Selected Professional Activities & Achievements (outside AALL)
- Admitted to the Practice of Law, California, 1963