Skip to content
Gilson Gardner Glasier, 1873 – 1972
Hall of Fame Pioneer
Hall of Fame Induction: 2010
Significant AALL Service
- Charter Member, July 1906
- Managing Editor, Index to Legal Periodicals and Law Library Journal, 1908–10
- Executive Board, 1909–12, 1916–17, 1944–45
- Chair, Committee on Amendment of Constitution of AALL, 1919–20
- President, 1921–22
- Chair, Committee on Publication of Law Books, 1922–23
- Chair, Committee on Joint Banquet with National Association of State Libraries, 1928–29
- Chair, Committee on New Members, 1934–35
- Chair, Nominating Committee, 1938–39, 1946–47
- Chair, Committee on Cooperation with the American Bar Association, 1938–39
- Chair, Committee on Cooperation with the American Bar Association, 1939–40
- Chair, Committee on Law Reporting and Duplication of Law Books, 1939–40
- Chair, Local Arrangements Committee, 1941–42
- Chair, Committee on Memorials, 1954–55
Professional Honors and Awards
- Honored for his 50 years of faithful public service to state by Wisconsin Legislature (Senate Joint Resolution No. 61), April 20, 1955
- Special Honors at Fiftieth Anniversary of AALL, Philadelphia 1956
- Elected Life Member of AALL, 1957
- Hall of Fame, Inaugural Class Inductee (Pioneer), 2010
Selected Publications by the Inductee
- “Cataloging Law Books, with Special Reference to Cooperative Indexing and Index Cards,” Law Library Journal 1 (1908): 50–55.
- A Digest of the Decisions of the Supreme Court of Wisconsin, editor. Chicago: Callaghan, 1909–20.
- Autobiography of Roujet D. Marshall, Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of Wisconsin, 1895–1918, editor. Madison, WI.: Democrat Printing Co., 1923–31.
- “The Work of the American Law Institute and What it Means to the Law Librarian,” Law Library Journal 18 (1925): 96–108.
- Bulletin of the State Bar Association of Wisconsin, editor, 1927–48.
- “Early American Periodicals,” American Bar Association Journal 28 (1942): 615–17.
- “Beginnings of the American Association of Law Libraries,” Law Library Journal 43 (1950): 147–58.
- “History of the American Association of Law Libraries, the Founders and the Early Years, 1906–1929,” Law Library Journal 49 (1956): 82–104.
- “State Law Library,” Wisconsin Bar Bulletin 29 (1956): 6.
Selected Publications about the Inductee
- Laurie H. Riggs, “Who’s Who in Law Libraries: Gilson G. Glasier,” Law Library Journal 45 (1952): 162–63.
- Charlotte C. Dennebacke, “Membership News: Gilson G. Glasier,” Law Library Journal 48 (1955): 249.
- Private Secretary to Justice R. D. Marshall of the Supreme Court of Wisconsin, 1896–1904
- Practicing Lawyer, Milwaukee, 1904 –05
- Librarian, Wisconsin State Law Library, 1905 –55
- Student, Literature [pre-law], University of Wisconsin, 1896–97
- LL.B., University of Wisconsin, 1900
Selected Professional Activities & Achievements (outside AALL)
- Admitted to the Practice of Law, Wisconsin, 1900 (?)
- Secretary-Treasurer, Wisconsin State Bar Association, 1927–48
- Secretary, Wisconsin State Bar Association, 1948–55 (?)
- Life Member, Wisconsin State Bar Association, 1956(?)–72.