Skip to content
Janis L. Johnston, 1947 –
Hall of Fame Induction: 2014
Significant AALL Service
- Chair, Publications Review Committee, 1990–91
- Chair, Technical Services Special Interest Section, 1991–92
- Chair, Special Committee to Promote the Development of Resources for the Legal Information Community, 1994–96
- Co-Director, Cataloging Institute, 1996
- AALL Treasurer, 1998–2001
- AALL Vice President/President-Elect, 2002–03
- AALL President, 2003–04
- AALL Immediate Past President, 2004–05
- Chair, AALL Vendor Relations Task Force, 2005–06
Professional Honors and Awards
- Paul J. Foik Award for Outstanding Contributions to Librarianship, University of Notre Dame, 1995
- LLJ Article of the Year Award, 1998
- Renee D. Chapman Memorial Award for Outstanding Contributions in Technical Services Law Librarianship, 2002
- Centennial Award for Authoring One of the Five Most Influential Writings in the Law Library Profession, 1957–2006, Academic Law Libraries Special Interest Section, 2006
- AALL Presidential Certificate of Appreciation, 2009
- Marian Gould Gallagher Distinguished Service Award, 2014
- AALL Hall of Fame, Inductee, 2014
Selected Publications by the Inductee
- “NOTIS Users’ Survey: An Initial Reaction,” Law Library Journal 82 (1990): 531–42.
- “Training New Law Library Personnel: The Neglected, Essential Activity,” Law Library Journal 83 (1991): 61–71.
- “Outsourcing: New Name for an Old Practice,” Law Library Journal 88 (1996): 128–34.
- “Managing the Boss,” Law Library Journal89 (1997): 21–29.
- “Paying for the Future: Financial Planning as Part of the Strategic Plan,” Trends in Law Library Management and Technology 12 (December 2001): 1–2.
- “AALL Prepares to Tackle Global and Professional Issues this Year, AALL Spectrum 8 (September 2004): 4.
- “Rebuilding the Profession: Recommendations for Librarians Interested in Becoming Academic Law Library Directors,” Law Library Journal 99 (2007): 104–06 (with Gasaway et al.).
Selected Publications about the Inductee
- “An Interview with Janis Johnston,” Technical Services Law Librarian 28 (June 2003): 1, 20–21.
- Frank G. Houdek, “Janis L. Johnston,” in “AALL History Through the Eyes of its Presidents,” Law Library Journal (2006): 299, 345–46.
- Heidi Frostestad Kuehl, “Celebrating Three of AALL’s Most Accomplished: The Association Presents Its Most Prestigious Award to Berring, Johnston, and Nicholson,” AALL Spectrum 18 (June 2014): 30–31.
- Janis L. Johnston Interview. In An Oral History of Law Librarianship, interviewed by Frank G. Houdek, July 13, 2014, videorecording. Spinelli’s Law Library Reference Shelf, HeinOnline.
- Cataloger, Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library, 1976–77
- Librarian, Marion County (Indiana) Law Library, 1977–79
- Serials Librarian, Indiana University Law Library, 1982–85
- Assistant Head of Technical Services, Indiana University Law Library, 1985–87
- Associate Director and Head of Technical Services, Notre Dame Law School Kresge Library, 1987–94
- Acting Director, Notre Dame Law School Kresge Library, 1992–93 and January 1997–June 1997
- Associate Director, Notre Dame Law School Kresge Library, 1994–99
- Director of Jenner Memorial Law Library and Associate Professor of Law and Library Administration, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign College of Law, 1999–2013
- B.A., Purdue University, 1972
- M.S.L.S., University of Illinois, 1976
- J.D., Indiana University, Bloomington, 1987
Selected Professional Activities & Achievements (outside AALL)
- Member, Accreditation Site Evaluation Teams, American Bar Association, 2001–11
- Chair, Legal Information Preservation Alliance, 2006–07, 2008–10
- Co-Founder and Co-Chair, Chinese and American Forum on Legal Information and Law Libraries, 2006–12
- Executive Board Member, International Association of Law Libraries, 2010–13