Hall of Fame Induction: 2010
Significant AALL Service
- Chair, Local Arrangements Committee, 1947–48
- President, Law Library Association of Greater New York, 1949–50
- Chair, Committee on Membership, 1949–50
- Chair, Program Committee, 1958–59, 1964–65
- AALL Executive Board, 1959–60
- Chair, Placement Committee, 1961–62
- Chair, Project Lawsearch, 1961–67
- AALL President, 1962–63
- Chair, Education Committee, 1965–67
- Chair, Relations with Publishers and Dealers Committee, 1970–73
- Chair, Copyright Committee, 1973–80
- Chair, Special Committee on Academic Law Libraries, 1982–83
Professional Honors and Awards
- Marian Gould Gallagher Distinguished Service Award, 1986
- Presidential Certificate of Appreciation for Leadership and Dedication to the Profession of Law Librarianship and AALL, 2002
- AALL Hall of Fame, Inaugural Class Inductee, 2010
Selected Publications by the Inductee
- “Administrative Law and the Expansion of Class ‘K’ at New York University,” Law Library Journal 42 (1949): 12–21.
- “Law Classification vs. Classification for Law Libraries,” Law Library Journal 42 (1949): 222–32.
- “The Divided Catalog as a Time Saver at New York University Law Library,” Law Library Journal 43 (1950): 187–89.
- “The Mills Memorial Library of the School of Law of New York University,” Law Library Journal 45 (1952): 79–84.
- A Catalogue of the Law Collection at New York University, With Selected Annotations, compiler and editor. New York: Law Center of New York University, 1953.
- The Holmes Reader: The Life, Writings, Speeches, Constitutional Decisions, etc, of the Late Oliver Wendell Holmes, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, As Well As an Evaluation of His Work and Achievements By Eminent Authorities, editor. New York: Oceana Publications, 1955.
- “Future Plans for Legal Bibliographical Research,” Journal of Legal Education 7 (1955): 530–39.
- “The Law Library Association of Greater New York (LLAGNY) 1938–1956,” Law Library Journal 49 (1956): 186–90.
- “Education for Law Librarianship—Law School Libraries Over 100,000 Volumes,” Law Library Journal 50 (1957): 363–68.
- Dean’s List of Recommended Reading for Prelaw and Law Students Selected By the Deans and Faculties of American Law Schools, editor. New York: Oceana Publications, 1958.
- The Law in the United States of America: A Selected Bibliographic Guide. New York: New York University Press, 1965. (With Joseph L. Andrews, Arthur A. Charpentier, and William B. Stern).
- “Copyright and Intellectual Property,” Albany Law Review 32 (1967): 1–57.
- “Project Lawsearch,” Law Library Journal 60 (1967): 42–63 (with Vincent E. Fiordalisi, Myron Jacobstein, and Miles O. Price).
- “The Law Librarian and You—Are You Missing the Boat?” New York State Bar Journal 40 (1968): 340–49.
- “Gentle Art of Making Enemies or Law Book Publishing Revisited,” Law Library Journal 63 (1970): 3–13.
- “Photocopying and the Copyright Law in the United States,” International Journal of Law Libraries 3 (1975): 185–97.
- “A Law Student’s Guide to Mr. Justice Holmes,” University of Florida Law Review 28 (1976): 365–91.
- “United States Copyright Revision and Its Legislative History,” Law Library Journal 70 (1977): 121–52.
- “International Law: An Annotated Bibliography,” Annual Survey of American Law (1978 Supp.): 55–159.
- What Law School Administrators Should Know About the ABA/AALS Law Library Inspection Process. New York: Glanville, 1981 (with Roy M. Mersky). Law Library Information Reports, vol. 1.
- Budgeting for the Law School Library. New York: Glanville Publishers, 1981 (with Dan F. Henke and Betty W. Taylor).
- “I Remember Them Well,” Law Library Journal 75 (1982): 270–88 (with Marian Gould Gallagher and Arthur A. Charpentier).
- Dean’s List of Recommended Reading for Prelaw and Law Students Selected by the Deans and Faculties of American Law Schools, edited by Julius J. Marke and Edward J. Bander. 2d ed. New York: Oceana Publications, 1984.
- Planning the Law Library as a Legal Information Center. New York: Glanville Publishers, 1985. (With Dan F. Henke).
- Legal Research and Law Library Management. Rev. ed. New York: Law Journal Press, 1990–2004. (With Richard Sloane and Linda M. Ryan).
- Vignettes of Legal History. Revised and enlarged ed. Holmes Beach, Fla.: Gaunt, 2000. [earlier editions published in 1965 and 1977.
*For a complete list, see William H. Manz, “Bibliography of Julius J. Marke: 1949–2003,” Law Library Journal 96 (2004): 41–56.
Selected Publications about the Inductee
- Patrick J. Rohan, “A Memorial Tribute to Julius J. Marke: Law Librarian, Friend, and Splendid Human Being (1913–2003),” St. John’s Law Review 77 (2003): 697–700.
- “A Tribute to Julius J. Marke,” Law Library Journal 96 (2004): 9–62. Includes: M. Kathleen Price, “Julius J. Marke: In Memoriam” (9–15); “Vignettes of Julius J. Marke” (17–39); William H. Manz, “Bibliography of Julius J. Marke: 1949–2003” (41–56); “Professor in Profile: Julius J. Marke” (57–62).
- Legal Reference Librarian, New York University School of Law, 1942–43
Assistant Librarian, New York University School of Law, 1946–48
Assistant Professor of Law and Law Librarian, New York University School of Law, 1948–52
- Professor of Law and Law Librarian, New York University School of Law, 1952–82
- Interim Dean and Curator of University Libraries, New York University, 1975
- Professor Emeritus, New York University School of Law, 1983–84
- Professor of Law and Librarian, St. John’s University School of Law, 1984–95
- Distinguished Research Professor, St. John’s University School of Law, 1995–2003
- B.S.S., City University of New York, City College, 1934
- LL.B., New York University, 1937
- M.S.L.S., Columbia University, 1942
Selected Professional Activities & Achievements (outside AALL)
- President, Order of the Coif, NYU School of Law Chapter, 1970–83
- President, Columbia University Library Service Alumni Association, 1973–75