Hall of Fame Induction: 2021
Kevin Marmion, chief executive officer of William S. Hein and Company, has championed many innovative ideas and products during his 50-year career with the publisher. Among them were producing content on non-silver-based microfilm (diazo), which was 25 percent less than the cost of silver microfilm (and thus more affordable for libraries) and could hold four times as much product; printing government documents on acid-free paper (the U.S. government eventually followed suit); and developing a computerized subscription service specifically for law libraries, which was adopted by 75 percent of the law school market at the time.
One of Marmion’s most utilized services is HeinOnline, which was initially developed to digitize law journals and place them online. The service has expanded to include statutes, case reports, legislative history documents, foreign and international materials, reference sources, indexes, and law librarianship items. The service is used by law libraries worldwide. As part of HeinOnline, Marmion has also been integral in developing two free databases that provide content for research in access to justice: Slavery in America and the World: History, Culture & the Law, and Gun Regulation in America (both of which are accessible to the public). In addition, he developed the Women and the Law database to honor Ilene Hein (a co-founder of Hein) and Marmion’s mother, Margaret (Peggy) Marmion, an avid supporter of women’s rights. HeinOnline was the recipient of AALL’s New Product Award in 2001.
He also has contributed a great deal of time and energy in service to the Association. This has been done by sponsoring activities and events during the AALL Annual Meeting, providing publishing support (including the Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals), and hosting the Spinelli Law Library Reference Shelf. Thus, Kevin M. Marmion is inducted into the Hall of Fame for his contributions to AALL, the professional literature, and access to justice.
Professional Honors & Awards
- AALL New Product Award, 2001 (for HeinOnline)
- AALL Presidential Certificate of Appreciation, 2014 (for providing access to AALL publications to members through HeinOnline, and for long-term support of the profession, development of quality legal research products, and commitment to customer service)
- AALL New Product Award, 2014 (for HeinOnline/Fastcase Integration)
- AALL Hall of Fame, Inductee, 2021
Selected Publications and Services Developed Under Direction of the Inductee
- Digital Subscription Service, 1980
- Acid-Free Government Documents, mid-1980s
- HeinOnline, 1999
- Women and the Law (database), 2014
- Slavery in America and the World: History, Culture and Law (database), 2016
- Gun Regulation in America (database), 2018
- Business and Legal Aspects of Sports and Entertainment (database), 2019 [winner of 2020 Joseph L. Andrews Legal Literature Award]
Selected Publications about the Inductee
- Kevin Marmion Interview. In An Oral History of Law Librarianship, interviewed by Patrick Kehoe, September 15, 2016, video recording. Spinelli’s Law Library Reference Shelf, HeinOnline.
- James E. Duggan, “Introducing the 2021 AALL Hall of Fame Inductees: John D. Edwards, Michele Finerty, and Kevin M. Marmion,” AALL Spectrum 25 (July/August 2021): 44–46.
- Periodical Department, William S. Hein and Company, 1975–83
- Office Manager, William S. Hein and Company, 1983–86
- Vice-President, William S. Hein and Company, 1986–96
- President, William S. Hein and Company, 1996–2018
- Chief Executive Officer, William S. Hein and Company, 2018–present
- B.A., Canisius College, Buffalo, NY, 1975
Selected Professional Activities & Achievements (outside AALL)
- Parish Council, Blessed Sacrament Church, 1984–96
- Board Member, Biblical Library of Western New York, 1984–88
- Board Member, The Teacher’s Desk, 2017–present