Skip to content
Hall of Fame Induction: 2010
Significant AALL Service
- President, Southeastern Chapter of the AALL, 1970–72
- Chair, Annual Meeting Program Committee, 1973–74
- Chair, Committee on Relations with Publishers and Dealers, 1974–75
- Executive Board, 1975–78
- Chair, Legislation and Legal Developments Committee, 1980–81
- Vice President/President-Elect, 1981–82
- President, 1982–83
- Immediate Past President, 1983–84
- Chair, Public Relations Committee, 1984–85
- Chair, Call for Papers Committee, 1987–89
- Representative, National Commission on Libraries, 1992–94
Professional Honors and Awards
- Marian Gould Gallagher Distinguished Service Award, 2003
- AALL Hall of Fame, Inaugural Class Inductee, 2010
Selected Publications by the Inductee
- “The Opinions of the State Attorneys General,” Law Library Journal 69 (1976): 210–20.
- Basic Lists for Georgia Law Libraries. Macon, Ga.: Mercer Law Library, 1973.
- “Recent Developments in Title Seven (Sex Discrimination) Litigation, Georgia State Bar Journal 10 (1974): 373–84.
- ‘A Survey of the Writing and Publication of Opinions in Federal and State Appellate Courts,” Law Library Journal 67 (1974): 362–79.
- Basic Guide to Georgia Law Libraries. Macon, Ga.: Mercer Law Library, 1976.
- “Sources and Tools for Federal Tax Research,” Agricultural Law Journal 2.2 (1980): 161–70.
- Reference Guide to Georgia Legal History and Legal Research. Charlottesville, Va.: Michie, 1980.
- Ethics. Macon, Ga.: Macon Bar-Mercer Law School CLE Program, 1985 (with Walter H. Bush).
- Specialized Legal Research, general editor. Boston: Little, Brown, 1987 (with Joseph J. Beard).
- “The Scope and Use of State Ethics Opinions,” Journal of the Legal Profession 14 (1989): 161–74.
- Guide to Georgia Legal Research and Legal History. Norcross, Ga.: Harrison, 1990 (with Suzanne L. Cassidy).
- Legal Research in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia. Buffalo, N.Y.: William S. Hein, 1995 (with Pamela Gregory and Sarah Wiant).
- Legal Research in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia. 2d ed. Buffalo, N.Y.: William S. Hein, 2000 (with Pamela Gregory and Sarah Wiant).
Selected Publications about the Inductee
- Mary Ann Parker, “Three to Receive Marian Gould Gallagher Distinguished Service Award: Recipients Recognized for Longtime Service to Profession, AALL,” AALL Spectrum 7 (June 2003): 12–13
- Leah Chanin Interview. In An Oral History of Law Librarianship, interviewed by Patrick E. Kehoe, Dec. 14, 2012, videorecording. Spinelli’s Law Library Reference Shelf, HeinOnline.
- Private law practice, Kenmore & Culpepper, Macon, Georgia, 1959–64
- Director of the Law Library and Professor of Law, Mercer University School of Law, 1964–92
- Dean Pro Tem, Mercer University School of Law, 1986–87
- Director of the Law Library and Distinguished Professor of Law, University of the District of Columbia, 1992–96
- Head of Public Services, Howard University, 1996–2001
- B.A., Southern Methodist University, 1950
- LL.B., Mercer University, 1954
Selected Professional Activities & Achievements (outside law librarianship)
- Admitted to practice, Georgia, 1954
- Authors’ Court, State Bar of Georgia, 1977
- Member, Georgia Code of Professional Responsibility Commission, 1985–87
- Member, Advisory Opinion Board, State Bar of Georgia 1986–90