Hall of Fame Induction: 2010
Significant AALL Service
- Chair, Contemporary Social Problems Special Interest Section, 1978–79
- Chair, Standing Committee on Status of Minorities, Contemporary Social Problems Special Interest Section, 1981–83 President, Minnesota Association of Law Libraries, 1982
- Member, Nominations Committee, 1983–84
- Chair, State, Court and County Law Libraries Special Interest Section, 1994–95
- Co-Chair, Local Advisory Committee, AALL 94th Annual Meeting, 2001
- Co-Chair, Special Committee on George Strait Minority Scholarship Fundraising, 2002–05
Professional Honors & Awards
- Law Librarian of the Year Award, Minnesota Association of Law Libraries, 1987
Spirit of Law Librarianship Award, 1999
- State, Court & County Law Libraries Special Interest Section Bethany J. Ochal Award for Distinguished Service to the Profession, 2000
- Selected as one of ten “Attorneys of the Year” by Minnesota Lawyer, 2001
- Marian Gould Gallagher Distinguished Service Award, 2003
- John R. Finnegan Freedom of Information Award, Minnesota Coalition on Government Information, 2004
- AALL Hall of Fame, Inaugural Class, 2010
Selected Publications by Inductee
- The History of African-American Law Librarians: A Research Agenda.” In Law Librarianship: Historical Perspectives, edited by Laura N. Gasaway & Michael G. Chiorazzi, 261–74. Littleton, CO: Fred B. Rothman & Co., 1996.
- Three Plus One for the Road,” in “Meet My Mentor: A Collection of Personal Reminiscences,” edited by Frank G. Houdek, Law Library Journal 91(1999): 177, at 183–85.
Selected Publications About Inductee
- Michelle Lore, “Marvin R. Anderson: A Lawyer who Lives by the Book,” Minnesota Lawyer (Feb. 4, 2002).
- Michelle Lore, “Marvin Anderson Retires After 22 Years as State Law Librarian,” Minnesota Lawyer (Sept. 16, 2002).
- “Three to Receive Marian Gould Gallagher Distinguished Service Award,” AALL Spectrum 7 (June 2003): 12–13.
- “Marvin Roger Anderson, Minnesota State Law Librarian (Retired).” In Carol Avery Nicholson, Ruth Johnson Hill & Vicente Garces, Celebrating Diversity: A Legacy of Minority Leadership in the American Association of Law Libraries, 26–30. Buffalo, N.Y.: William S. Hein & Co., 2006. AALL Publication Series No. 71.
- Marvin R. Anderson Interview. In An Oral History of Law Librarianship, interviewed by Patrick E. Kehoe, Sept. 4, 2013, videorecording. Spinelli’s Law Library Reference Shelf, HeinOnline.
- Ordinance Drafter, Minneapolis Department of Civil Rights, 1968–69
- Private Practice, 1969–74
- Reference Librarian, University of Minnesota, 1976–80
- Minnesota State Law Librarian, 1980–2002
- B.A., Morehouse College, 1962
- J.D., Hastings College of the Law, 1966
- M.A., University of Minnesota, 1977
Selected Professional Activities & Achievements (Outside AALL)
- Volunteer, U.S. Peace Corps, 1966–68
- President, Minnesota Minority Lawyers Association, 1982–83
- Originator of “Everybody Wins” reading program, which pairs volunteer legal practitioners with elementary school students.
- Received “Eleven Who Care” Community Service Award from Twin Cities television station KARE-11 for this program in 2000.
- “Marvin Anderson Day” declared by Mayor Randy Kelly of St. Paul, Minnesota, September 9, 2002