Skip to content
Viola Avis Bird, 1905 – 2007
Hall of Fame Induction: 2010
Significant AALL Service
- Chair, Scholarships Committee, 1964–67
- Executive Board, 1968–70
- Chair, Finance Committee (of Executive Board), 1970–71
- Vice President/President-Elect, 1970–71
- President, 1971–72
- Immediate Past President, 1972–73
- Chair, Liaison with the Library of Congress Committee, 1972–73
Professional Honors and Awards
- Elected Life Member of AALL, 1974
- Honoured Member of Canadian Association of Law Libraries, 1975
- Marian Gould Gallagher Distinguished Service Award, 1990
- AALL Hall of Fame, Inaugural Class, 2010
Selected Publications by the Inductee
- Order Procedures: A Manual. South Hackensack, N.J.: Fred B. Rothman & Co., 1960 (with Stanley Pearce). AALL Publications Series No. 2, 1960.
- “Anatomy of the AALL Scholarships and Grants,” Law Library Journal 61 (1968): 7–10.
- “Scholarship and Grants Program,” International Journal of Law Libraries 1 (1973): 30–32.
- Law Library Resources In Canada. Ottawa: Resources Survey Division, National Library of Canada, 1975.
Selected Publications about the Inductee
- Patrick E. Kehoe, “Mentors Four,” in Frank G. Houdek, comp., “Meet My Mentor,” Law Library Journal 91 (1999): 177, 229–32.
- Patrick E. Kehoe, comp., “A Tribute To Viola A. Bird On The Occasion of Her 100th Birthday,” Law Library Journal 97 (2005): 205–31.
- Penny A. Hazelton. “Memorial: Viola A. Bird (1905–2007),” Law Library Journal 99(2007): 933–34.
- Assistant Law Librarian, University of Washington, 1953–73
- Librarian, Preston, Thorgrimson, Ellis & Holman (Seattle), 1976–86
- B.A., Lawrence College, 1927
- J.D., University of Washington, 1950
- M. Law Libr., University of Washington, 1953
- Selected Professional Activities & Achievements (outside AALL)
- Commissioned by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to study law library resources in Canada, 1974