Hall of Fame Induction: 2011
Significant AALL Service
- Chair, Government Documents Special Interest Section, 1978–79
- Chair, Awards Committee, 1983–84
- Co-Director, CONELL, 1988–89
- President, Atlanta Law Libraries Association, 1990–91
- Chair, Academic Law Libraries Special Interest Section, 1992–93
- Chair, SIS Council, 1993–94
- Chair, Task Force to Explore the Expansion of AALL Membership, 1994–95
- Executive Board, 1996–99
- Chair, Executive Board Strategic Planning Committee, 1997–99
- Representative, American Library Association External Accreditation Task Force, 1999–2002
- Chair, Special Advisory Committee on the Economic Study of Law Book Pricing, 2000–01
- Chair, Special Committee on Graduate Education for Law Librarians, 2002–03
- Chair, Academic Law Libraries Special Interest Section CALI Legal Research Authoring Group, 2003–05
- President, Southeastern Chapter of the American Association of Law Libraries, 2003–04
Professional Honors and Awards
- AALL Presidential Certificate of Appreciation, “for her extraordinary efforts supporting the 2001 AALL Economic Study of Law Book Pricing,” 2001
- Clark Atlanta University Graduate School of Library and Information Studies, Excellent Professor Award, 2002
- CALI Excellence in Service Award, 2003
- Southeastern Chapter of AALL Distinguished Service Award, 2007
- Frederick Charles Hicks Award for Outstanding Contributions to Academic Law Librarianship, 2009
- AALL Academic Law Libraries Special Interest Section Outstanding Article Award, 2010
- AALL Hall of Fame, Inductee, 2011
- Marian Gould Gallagher Distinguished Service Award, 2012
- Association of American Law Schools Section on Law Libraries and Legal Information Award for Outstanding Contributions to Teaching and Scholarship, 2014
Selected Publications by the Inductee
- “Legal Periodical Usage Survey: Method and Application,” Law Library Journal 71 (1978): 177–86.
- Sources of Compiled Legislative Histories: A Bibliography of Government Documents, Periodical Articles, and Books. Littleton, Colo.: Fred B. Rothman & Co., 1979–. (AALL Publications Series No. 14)
- “Pre-1920 Government Documents Literature: A Selective Bibliography,” Government Publications Review (1980): 229–45.
- “Rearranging a Law Library: A Case Study,” Law Library Journal 73 (1980): 129–33.
- “Space Consuming U.S. Government Documents Available in Microform,” Microform Review 9 (1980): 228–35.
- “Access of Legal Materials in Illinois Public Libraries: A Survey of Holdings,” Illinois Libraries 62 (1980): 655–62.
- “Providing Reference Services Using State Documents,” Reference Services Review 9 (January-March 1981): 89–91.
- “Depository Library Council to the Public Printer,” Illinois Libraries 64 (October 1982): 1012–13.
- “Reference Use of State Government Information in Law Libraries,” Government Publications Review 10 (1983): 201–11.
- Legal Research Exercises Following the Bluebook. St. Paul, Minn.: West Publishing Co., 1986 (with Lynn Foster and Elizabeth Kelly). [Also later editions in 1989, 1992 and 1995 (with Lynn Foster); 1996 (with Wes Cochran); 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008 and 2011 (with Susan Phillips).]
- “Comparable Worth in Libraries: A Legal Analysis,” Law Library Journal 79 (1987): 367–86. Included in Best of Library Literature (1988).
- Winning Research Skills. St. Paul, Minn.: West Publishing Co., 1991 (with Robert Berring and Thomas Woxland). [Also later editions in 1993, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002.]
- “Researching Georgia Law,” Georgia State University Law Review 9 (1993): 585–646 (with Nancy Adams Deel).
- KeyCite: A Guide for Legal Research and Writing Instructors with Sample Exercises. St. Paul, Minn.: West Publishing Co., 1997.
- “Researching Georgia Law (1998 edition),” Georgia State University Law Review 14 (1998): 545–79 (with Nancy Adams Deel).
- “”Recruiting the Next Generation,” Law Librarians in the New Millenium (May-June 2001): 1-3.
- Researching Federal Legislative History [online lesson]. Chicago, Ill.: Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction, 2002.
- Georgia Legal Research: Primary Source Materials [online lesson]. Chicago, Ill.: Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction, 2005 (with Elizabeth G. Adelman, Nancy J. Adams and Terrance K. Manion).
- “Researching Georgia Law (2006 edition),” Georgia State University Law Review 22 (2005): 381–462 (with Nancy J. Adams and Elizabeth G. Adelman).
- “Georgia Practice Materials: A Selective Annotated Bibliography.” In State Practice Materials: Annotated Bibliographies, Frank G. Houdek, ed. Buffalo, N.Y.: William S. Hein & Co., 2002–. (AALL Publications Series No. 63) (with Ronald E. Wheeler, chapters published in 2007 and 2010).
- Georgia Legal Research. Durham, N.C.: Carolina Academic Press, 2007 (with Elizabeth G. Adelman and Nancy J. Adams). [Accompanying teacher’s manual, 2008.]
- “Choosing the Top Candidate: Best Practices in Academic Law Library Hiring,” Law Library Journal 100 (2008): 117–35 (with Ronald E. Wheeler and Terrance K. Manion).
- “Best Practices: What First-Year Law Students Should Learn in a Legal Research Class,” Legal Reference Services Quarterly 28 (2009): 77–99.
- Georgia Legal Research: Secondary Materials [online session]. Chicago, Ill.: Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction, 2009 (with Ronald E. Wheeler and Terrance K. Manion).
- “Should You Use a Textbook to Teach Legal Research?” Law Library Journal 103 (2011): 415–40.
Selected Publications about the Inductee
- Mary Lu Linnane, “Coggins, Grande, Johnson, and Jurkins: 2011 AALL Hall of Fame Inductees,” AALL Spectrum 15 (June 2011): 24–25.
- Margaret K. Maes, “The Highest Honor–Nancy Johnson and Terry Martin are Honored with the 2012 Marian Gould Gallagher Award,” AALL Spectrum 16 (June 2012): 26-27.
- Nancy P. Johnson Interview. In An Oral History of Law Librarianship, interviewed by Patrick E. Kehoe, Dec. 10, 2012, videorecording. Spinelli’s Law Library Reference Shelf, HeinOnline.
- Kristina L. Niedringhaus et al., “Memorial: Nancy P. Johnson (1949–2014),” Law Library Journal 107 (2015): 153–63.
- Assistant Reference/Documents Librarian, University of Chicago Law Library, 1974–76
- Assistant Law Librarian and Associate Professor of Library, University of Illinois Law Library, 1976–82
- Reference Librarian, Georgia State University College of Law Library, 1982–86
- Associate Dean for Library and Information Services and Professor of Law, Georgia State University College of Law Library, 1986–2012
- B.A., Marycrest College, 1969
- M.L.S., University of Illinois, 1972
- J.D., Georgia State University, 1986
Selected Professional Activities & Achievements (outside law librarianship)
- Member, Depository Library Council, 1980–83
- Columnist on Government Documents, Legal Reference Services Quarterly, 1981–82
- Member, Editorial Board, Legal Reference Services Quarterly, 1982–2014
- President, Consortium of Southeastern Law Libraries, 1989–91
- Adjunct Instructor in Law Librarianship, Clark Atlanta University Graduate School of Library and Information Studies, 1989–2003
- Westlaw Academic Advisory Board, 1992–94
- Westlaw KeyCite Advisory Board, 1997–99
- Westlaw Library Educators Advisory Board, 2000–04