As I prepare for the 106th AALL Annual Meeting in Seattle, I am struck by the number of great educational and networking opportunities being offered for those interested in publishers and publishing issues.
Mark your calendars for these events:
- The Exhibit Hall opens at 5 p.m. on Saturday, July 13, and closes on Tuesday, July 16, at 3 p.m. Hours vary slightly each day. Don’t miss this chance to meet with legal publishers and system vendors to learn about their products, ask questions, win prizes, and pick up giveaways. New this year is the Exhibitor Showcase Theater, where attendees will be able to view the newest products and services without the distractions of a crowded exhibit booth.
- Program A1: Making Sense of the Numbers: Understanding Vendor Statistics on Sunday, July 14, 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m., in WSCC - Room 4C1-2. Learn how to interpret and analyze the usage statistics provided by publishers and aggregators.
- Program C1: Fishbowl Fun! A Closer Look at Four Key Licensing Provisions on Sunday, July 14, 4-5:15 p.m., in WSCC - Room 4C3. Sponsored by the Library Procurement Process Improvements Task Force, this program is geared toward librarians with experience in negotiating license agreements. Audience members will become participants in this interactive roundtable session as we explore four challenging issues in licensing - nondisclosure, fair use and ILL, usage statistics, and future trends in licensing.
- The Committee on Relations with Information Vendors (CRIV) Vendor Roundtable: e-Books One Year Later on Monday, July 15, 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m., in WSCC - Room 310. This session will be an opportunity to hear again from several legal publishers about their e-book offerings.
- Program E1: Off the Page and Beyond the Book: New Models for Buying and Selling Legal Information on Monday, July 15, 2:30-3:45 p.m., in WSCC - Room 602-604. This CRIV-sponsored program features a dynamic list of speakers discussing the challenges presented by the traditional book-based publishing model that still governs much of the thinking of librarians and publishers and how we can move toward a more sustainable legal information economy.
- The Price Index for Legal Publications Committee will host a table during the Tuesday, July 16, Coffee Talks from 7:30-8:15 a.m. in the WSCC East Lobby (Level 6). The table topic will be: How Do You Use the Price Index for Legal Publications?
- The CRIV Business Meeting, Saturday, July 13, 4-5 p.m., in Sheraton-Greenwood.
- The Consumer Advocacy Caucus Business Meeting, Sunday, July 14, 5:30-6:30 p.m., in Sheraton-Juniper.
For those who are not able to attend the Annual Meeting, stay tuned for further information and reports on The CRIV Blog and in the August issue of the Vendor Liaison Update.
I hope to see many of you in Seattle!