AALL 2017 / REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
for the 110th AALL Annual Meeting & Conference
is now open! We champion our profession and our members, and AALL 2017 will celebrate the innovators and highlight the skills, talents, and attributes that provide added value and meaning for our organizations. Join us in Austin and return to your workplace inspired, energized, and connected.
- Inspired. AALL members are problem solvers of the highest order who help define the dozens of must-have programs, part of the robust slate of educational programs designed to empower an evolving profession. Keynote speaker Bryan Stevenson, founder and executive director of the Equal Justice Initiative, will share his experiences defending some of America's most rejected and marginalized people, recounting stories of heartbreak and encouragement.
- Energized. There's no better place to embrace the radical transformation of the legal industry than in Austin, an innovation hub that celebrates its eclecticism, a music mecca, and a first-time host to AALL. This year's Exhibit Hall will be buzzing with the latest tools to keep you at the top of your game, as well as exhibitor showcase sessions, daily prize drawings, poster sessions, and discussion dens.
- Connected. No other event affords this kind of access to the legal information community; connect with your peers to gain perspective only they can provide.
Need to make your case
to attend? We've got you covered. Book your accommodations
through AALL's housing partner to get the best rates, and relax knowing you can always make adjustments later without penalty. See what's in store at AALL 2017
, and start making plans to join us.
AALL 2017 / PRECONFERENCE WORKSHOPS
Arrive early and maximize your conference experience by registering for a preconference workshop
--whether you're new to the profession, eager to learn how to navigate difficult conversations, or trying to make the best use of the data you collect. Attendance is limited, so be sure to register well in advance of the June 19 deadline.
AALL 2017 / SHARE YOUR GREAT IDEAS
The AALL Annual Meeting & Conference
provides several opportunities to tackle current issues and share ideas and experiences—we want to hear from you
- Have you implemented an innovative program in your library? Perhaps you've created a set of best practices to apply in the workplace. Or maybe you'd like to share new classroom techniques, findings from a research project, or a practical problem-solving effort. Submit a poster session proposal online by April 14.
APPLY FOR AN AALL ANNUAL MEETING GRANT
AALL Annual Meeting Grants
- Got a burning question you'd like to ask? Maybe you'd like to pick your colleagues' brains about a new innovation. Wondering if anybody has dealt with the same situation you now find yourself in? To keep the conversation flowing in Austin, informal "Discussion Den" chats will be held throughout the conference, and we'd like to know what's on your mind. Send your topic ideas to AALL by May 15.
cover registration costs at either the Annual Meeting or its associated workshops. Individuals eligible for the Experienced Member Grant are active members with five or more years of AALL or AALL chapter membership. Individuals eligible for the Student/New Member Grant are student members of AALL or an AALL chapter, or active members with less than five years of AALL or AALL chapter membership. Be sure to submit your application by April 1.
COMPLIMENTARY AALL 2016 SESSION RECORDINGS AVAILABLE
At AALL's Annual Meeting & Conference in Chicago
, attendees gathered to learn, network, and share knowledge. As an AALL member, you can access the educational session recordings
, whether you joined us in Chicago or not. Take advantage of this complimentary member benefit--ways to "make it new" are just a few clicks away.
AALL 2016 session recordings are sponsored by Thomson Reuters.
WEBINARS NOW AVAILABLE ON-DEMAND
PICK OF THE MONTH
Selected by AALL's Continuing Professional Education Committee
DESIGN THINKING FOR LIBRARIES: RETHINKING THE USER EXPERIENCE
Gain practical guidance on how to develop programming or create spaces that meet patron needs. Presented at the 2016 AALL Annual Meeting, Chicago Public Library colleagues set out to learn how their patrons view and use the library with the goal of innovating (or adjusting) services and outreach. With their focus on building empathy for patrons and openness to brainstorming and running simple experiments, the librarians were able to introduce low cost programs to bring patron groups together, or reimagine spaces to suit the needs of diverse users. Learn how you can design what is feasible, viable, and desirable, while gaining buy-in from library leadership, colleagues, patrons, and other stakeholders.
Find this and many more continuing education programs and webinars on AALLNET
See what else is available on-demand.
PERSONAL STRATEGIC PLANNING: CREATING A VISION-DRIVEN CAREER
- Wednesday, March 29 / 11:00 a.m. (CST)
- Register by Friday, March 24
- AALL Members - Complimentary; Non-members - $60
Have you thought about what you want to get out of your career and how you're going to achieve it? A recent study determined that librarians don't have a clear professional or personal vision statement. Learning how to strategically focus your energy and resources and properly set goals can help you lead a purposeful life and build a foundation for a fulfilling career. In this fun and transformative webinar, participants will explore the why, what, and how of personal strategic planning, and learn how to develop a plan for both professional and personal success. Participants will also learn techniques to modify habits and counter procrastination. This webinar will benefit law librarians and legal information professionals at all stages in their careers.
Webinar programming is made possible through a partnership with Wolters Kluwer Legal & Regulatory US.
AALL/BLOOMBERG BNA CONTINUING EDUCATION GRANT
Does your chapter, special interest section, committee, or caucus have an educational event that needs funding? If so, consider applying for an AALL/Bloomberg BNA Continuing Education Grant
. Grant requests are accepted at various times throughout the year. The next deadline for grant applications is March 15
AALL PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT RECOMMENDATION
Thinking about continuing your education? AALL's Education Department recommends the following:
13 TIPS TO ACTIVATE YOUR SKILLS—AN INTROVERT'S GUIDE TO JOB INTERVIEWS
Interviews can make even the most confident person buckle at the knees. If you identify as an introvert and want to ace that upcoming interview, eLearning Industry's job interview infographic
has a number of tips to help you showcase your skills during the interview process. The infographic also provides recommendations designed to assist you before, during, and after the interview.
FOR THE LEADER IN YOU
Creating safe and inclusive environments in the workplace is a goal for many leaders. In doing so, it is important to be cognizant of diversity and foster a multicultural understanding in the workplace and plan a diversity agenda that is right for the organization. Supportive and nurturing environments are crucial to a healthy workplace and workforce.
Following are several articles on creating safe and inclusive environments:
For more in depth reading on the topic:
To encourage all of us to think about leadership, the Leadership Development Committee highlights short articles in the monthly AALL eNewsletter and Education Update. Next month our focus will be on how to deal with challenging colleagues. Have a suggestion or request for a topic? Please email Becka Rich