OBS-SIS Procedures Manual
The OBS-SIS Chair is elected for three years; serving first as Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect, followed by Chair, and finally Past Chair. This officer is installed as OBS-SIS Chair at the end of the OBS-SIS General Business meeting at the AALL Annual Meeting and at this time announces the agenda that will be pursued during the Chair’s term.
- Serves as Chair of the OBS-SIS Executive Board.
- Prepares the agenda and presides over the incoming OBS-SIS Executive Board meeting at the AALL Annual Meeting.
- Communicates with OBS-SIS Executive Board members, committee chairs and representatives on the business of the SIS throughout the year.
- Reports on the activities of the SIS to OBS-SIS members in the “From the Chair” column of TSLL published during the year.
- Promotes the activities for the SIS by submitting items to the AALLNET’s “Special Interest Section News” section.
- Approves all expenditures as necessary and reviews OBS-SIS financial statements in consultation with the Secretary/Treasurer.
- Appoints the chair of the Nominating Committee (traditionally previous chair) and two other members.
- Oversees the implementation of the Strategic Plan as necessary.
- Continues to serve as Education Committee Chair until proposals are submitted to AMPC in October.
- Serves as ex-officio member of the Web Advisory Committee and works closely with the Webmaster by providing updated information for the OBS-SIS website.
- Monitors the OBS-SIS electronic list; posts announcements of OBS related news.
- Monitors the activities of the SIS Council electronic list, distributes information as appropriate, and submits issues for discussion to the SIS Council Chair.
- Coordinates the scheduling of all OBS-SIS business meetings, committee meetings, informal programs, and roundtables at the AALL Annual Meeting.
- Recommends a candidate to be appointed as AALL Liaison to the Marc Advisory Committee (MAC) (three year term) in consultation with Technical Services SIS, when appropriate.
- Appoints an OBS/TS FROG (Funding Research Opportunities Grant) Chair (two year term) in consultation with Technical Services SIS, when appropriate.
- Acts as spokesman for information requested about the SIS from within AALL.
- Confers with Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect to appoint chairs of committees (currently OCLC Committee, Local Systems Committee, and Web Advisory Committee).
- Confers with first year Member-at-Large planning for the joint OBS/TS/CS/RIPS dine-arounds.
- Approves all public relations efforts, such as brochure redesign, giveaways, bulletin board display, etc.
- Sends letters of appreciation to the Executive Committee members and committee members when their terms end.
- Reviews OBS files as term concludes, pulls appropriate material and sends it to the AALL Archives.
- Attends and represents OBS-SIS at the SIS Council meeting.
- Notifies AALL and the Chair of the SIS Council the election results.
- Invites CONELL registrants to meet the OBS-SIS Chair at the CONELL Marketplace at the AALL Annual Meeting.
- Attends and represents OBS-SIS at the CONELL Marketplace at the AALL Annual Meeting.
- Prepares the agenda and presides over the outgoing OBS-SIS Executive Board virtual meeting prior to AALL Annual Meeting and the OBS-SIS General Business meeting at the AALL Annual Meeting.
- Submits an annual report highlighting OBS-SIS activities and accomplishments to the AALL Executive Board in June, which is published later on AALLNET.