PLLIP IP Caucus Archive Materials
- 6/19/2014: Defining Patent Trolls – Truth or Fiction in Patent Litigation. Webinar presented by Diana Koppang, Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg LLP; moderated by Sarah Mauldin, Smith, Gambrell & Russell, LLP.(https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/548286846)
- 2/20/2014: Resources for Researching & Tracking Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) Filings (recording here and handout here). Webinar presented by Diana Koppang, Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg LLP, moderated by Sarah Mauldin, Smith Gambrell & Russell, LLP.
- 6/19/2013: Patent Research 101, part 2 (recording here and handout here).
- 6/12/2013: Patent Research 101, part 1 (recording here and handout here).
- 4/17/2013: Follow the Virtual Breadcrumbs: Tracking Elusive Trademark Infringers (recording here and handout here).
- 6/19/2012: Patents 101: The Best of the Best Free Search Services (handout here).
- 4/24/2012: Shift This!: A Paradigm for Integrating Law School & Law Firm Patent Research.
- 3/06/2012: Searching ITC Material on EDIS.
- 12/7/2011: International Trade Commission (ITC) Research - Tips from the Pros.
ANNUAL MEETING PROGRAMS & EVENTS
- AALL July 2014: F5: IP Research for the Frugal Librarian: Tips for Supporting (Expected and Unexpected) IP Requests. Speakers: Joan Shear, Boston College Law Library and Luci Barry, Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP; Moderator: Eric Montes, McDermott Will & Emery LLP Tuesday, July 15th 1-:15-11:30, HBCGG Room 006AB.
- AALL July 2014: IP Caucus Business Meeting and Luncheon (sponsored by Thomson Reuters). Monday, July 14th, 11:45-12:45 at the Marriott Riverwalk-Travis.
2008-2009 Annual Report | 2008-2009 Participation Recognition Report | Business Meeting Minutes, 2009 AALL Intellectual Property Committee | 2013 Annual Report | 2014 Annual Report
HANDOUTS AND MATERIALS FROM ANNUAL MEETINGS
July 2014 - AALL Program IP Research for the Frugal Librarian: Tips for Supporting (Expected and Unexpected) IP Requests, (materials here) 107th Annual Meeting and Conference, San Antonio, TX.
July 2013 - AALL Program Intellectual Property Basics: Resources to Support an IP Practice, (handout here) 106th Annual Meeting and Conference, Seattle, WA.
July 2012 - AALL Program Hot Topics in Copyright for Librarians: Locating Copyright Owners and Researching Orphan Works, (handout here) 105th Annual Meeting and Conference, Boston,
July 2012 - AALL Program I Have a Patent Number- Now What?, (handout here) 105th Annual Meeting and Conference, Boston,
July 2012 - AALL Program IP Vendor Panel & Reception, 105th Annual Meeting and Conference, Boston, MA.
July 2011 - AALL Program Searching for and Locating Scientific Literature: Finding a Needle in a Haystack, 104th Annual Meeting
and Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
July 2011 - AALL Program Copyright Hell: Sites to Get You Out of the Inferno, 104th Annual Meeting and Conference,
July 2010 - AALL Program What's A Reasonable Royalty Rate? The What, Why & How of Patent and Technology Licensing Research , 103rd Annual Meeting and Conference, Denver, CO
July 2010 - AALL Program 60 IP Sites in 60 Minutes,
103rd Annual Meeting and Conference, Denver, CO
July 2009 - AALL Program What's in a Name, Trademark Searching, Services, & Domain Names, 102nd Annual Meeting and Conference, Washington, DC
July 2009 - AALL Program The Changing World of Information Access at the USPTO,
102nd Annual Meeting and Conference, Washington, DC
July 2008 - AALL Program (H-5) Patent Searching Demystified, 101st Annual Meeting and Conference, Portland, OR
July 2006 - AALL Program (H-3) 60 Intellectual Property Sites in 60 Minutes, 99th Annual Meeting and Conference, St. Louis MO
July 2005 - AALL Program (G1) So, Now You've Got an IP Practice, 98th Annual Meeting and Conference, San Antonio TX
ARTICLES FROM PLL PERSPECTIVES
IP Vendor Panel Review by Donna M. Fisher, Senniger Powers LLP
60 IP Sites in 60 Minutes by Betsy Chessler, Morrison & Foerster LLP
What's a Reasonable Royalty Rate? by Donna M. Fisher, Senniger Powers LLP
Domain Name Research Who Owns That URL?
by Rebecca Olson, Alston & Bird, Charlotte, NC
New Directions For Dialog
by Betsy Chessler, Morrison & Foerster, LLP, San Diego, CA
Document Delivery for IP Law � Unique Resources for a Unique Practice
by Amanda S. Merk, Fish & Richardson P.C., Boston, MA
Welcome To The Wonderful World Of IP
by Linda Jean Schneider, Drinker, Biddle & Reath, LLP, Philadelphia, PA
A Day In The Life Of An IP Librarian
by Hope Porter, Merchant & Gould, Minneapolis, MN
IP Blogs: Pocket Parts For A Digital Age
by Robert J. Ambrogi, Rockport, MA
The IP Librarians Web Favorites
by Jennifer C. Groh and Clifford Hoffman, Morgan & Finnegan LLP, New York, NY
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RESOURCES
RECOMMENDED SERVICES FOR SEARCH, ARTICLE, AND TRANSLATION DELIVERY
- Search Firms
- Document Suppliers for References/Articles
- Global Translation Services
PIUG 2009 NE Conference Report
A Design Patent Bibliography Compiled by Don Boman of Kenyon & Kenyon - July, 2007
EPO Virtual Helpdesk http://www.epo.org/patents/patent-information/east-asian/helpdesk.html
Collected resources related to Asian patent collections, including China, Taiwan, India, Japan, and Korea.
A wiki offering reports on patent search systems, comparison tables,
best practices articles, and a global coverage map with links to
national patent offices
A well known patent law blog
PIUG Wiki http://wiki.piug.org/display/PIUG/PIUG+Space
The Patent Information Users Group wiki contains patent information retrieval questions and answers
This website offers an IP news portal and a federated search engine with
links to national patent office websites for many countries
WIPO Gold http://www.wipo.int/wipogold/en/
Directory to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)'s assorted IP databases
USPTO TDR Portlet http://tsdr.uspto.gov/
International Trademark Association http://www.inta.org/GlobalTrademark/Pages/main.aspx
Trademark Resources from Cornell Law http://topics.law.cornell.edu/wex/Trademark
Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market http://oami.europa.eu/ows/rw/pages/index.en.do
PATENT, TRADEMARK AND COPYRIGHT DOCUMENT SERVICES
DPS Files http://www.dpsfiles.com/
Landon IP http://www.landon-ip.com/FileHistoryAvailability.aspx
Thomson Reuters (was Micropatent) http://www.micropat.com/static/index.htm ; http://www.thomsonfilehistories.com/
Tempus IP https://www.tempusip.com/
The Intellectual Property Caucus was organized in 1996
as result of informal Dutch-treat luncheons Lucy Curci-Gonzalez (then of Morgan & Finnegan in New York, now of Kenyon & Kenyon LLP) and Virginia “Ginny” McNitt (now retired from Finnegan Henderson in Washington) started organizing on their own by word of mouth at the AALL’s Annual Meetings in the early 1990s. By the late 1990s the group was more formalized and began proposing programming for the AALL. At about that time, Dialog (under the direction of their now deceased marketing manager Deb Collins), began sponsoring the group’s formal luncheon, held on the Monday or Tuesday of the annual meeting. It was Deb who dubbed Lucy, Ginny, and Mary Gilligan (then of the now defunct Pennie & Edmonds and now with Jones Day in New York) the “mothers of invention” for founding the group.