The Serials Standing Committee provides a forum for addressing issues unique to serial publications including, but not limited to, check-in systems; subscription agencies; binding; claiming; and record keeping. This committee also encourages the exchange of duplicate materials among law libraries by issuing periodic lists of exchange materials available from member libraries.
Standing Committee Chair
The chair of the Serials Standing Committee serves a two-year term and is appointed by the TS-SIS Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect in consultation with the TS-SIS Executive Board in odd-numbered years.
The standing committee chair:
- Meeting attendance: Attends the TS-SIS Business Meeting and the incoming TS-SIS Executive Board meeting at the first AALL annual meeting after appointment. Attends the Business Meeting and both Board meetings the following year. Attends the outgoing Board meeting and the Business Meeting at the conclusion of the second year's term.
- Sets the agendas and presides over the standing committee meetings held during the AALL annual meeting.
- Serves as ex officio member of the TS-SIS Education Committee. Solicits and submits program and workshop ideas to the TS-SIS Education Committee for possible presentation at the AALL annual meeting, after discussion with committee members.
- Appoints members who have expressed a desire to join the committee.
- If additional members are needed, recruits from among TS-SIS members who might be interested in joining.
- Appoints a member to coordinate the Exchange of Duplicates Program by August 1.
- Appoints committee members to moderate any roundtables related to the committee by November 1. (See "Roundtables " for more details.)
- Appoints subcommittees or working groups, as needed. At least one member of such a subcommittee or working group must also be a member of the standing committee.
- Communicates with committee members at least once during the year to keep them informed of the activity of the committee, its subcommittees and working groups.
- When relevant, reports on committee activities in TSLL or another AALL publication.
- Maintains committee files and documents, transferring these to the AALL Archives when appropriate.
- Submits written reports of the committee's activities to the TS-SIS Chair by June 15.
- Presents brief verbal summaries of these reports at TS-SIS Executive Board and business meetings.
Standing Committee Members
In general, members of standing committees are expected to:
- Read and respond to all communications from standing committee chair.
- Consider and volunteer for opportunities to lead or serve on roundtables, working groups, etc.
- Attend meeting of standing committee held during AALL annual meeting.
- Attend meeting of roundtables, working groups, etc. held during AALL annual meeting.
Exchange of Duplicates Program
[Website Manager Note: The Exchange of Duplicates Program ceased in 2015. Deletion of this section is pending handbook review and approval by the TS-SIS Executive Board.]
The Exchange of Duplicates Program is coordinated by a member of the TS-SIS Serials Committee who has been appointed by the Serials Committee chair to serve a two-year, renewable term, running from August through July. The service enables libraries to exchange journals as well as other titles that are serial in nature. Funds raised through this program are used by TS-SIS to offer educational grants. Changes to the Exchange of Duplicates procedures must be approved by the Serials Committee.
The Exchange of Duplicates Program Coordinator:
- Sets a timetable for the upcoming calendar year which includes the semi-annual (spring and fall) exchange.
- Alerts database administrator of all dates and any needed revisions to the website http://diglawlib.byu.edu/exchange.
- E-mails at the beginning of the calendar year, an invitation to libraries to participate in the Exchange of Duplicates Program for that year.
- Receives payments from participating libraries and maintains records. Forwards payments to the TS-SIS Secretary/Treasurer for deposit in the TS-SIS account.
- Alerts members of submission deadlines.
- Prepares the Duplicate Exchange List. Receives standardized lists of duplicates from participating libraries. Verifies submitted lists against the Authority List. Revises the list (when the numbers of changes are deemed insignificant) or returns the list to the originating library to revise (when the numbers of changes are deemed significant). Reformats and makes edits to the Secondary Lists when necessary.
- Submits all completed lists to the Database Administrator for compiling into the Master List.
- Alerts participants when the Master List is ready for viewing.
- Answers any questions from participants.
- Sends receipts of costs incurred (payments to Web Administrator) to the TS-SIS Secretary/Treasurer, who requests reimbursement for them from AALL out of TS-SIS funds.
- Submits an annual report to the chair of the TS-SIS Serials Committee, who will incorporate it into the Serials Committee's annual report. The report should include the number of participating libraries, income and expenditures, and any other information the coordinator feels is suitable for inclusion.
Revised July 2011