The newly formed SR-SIS Standing Committee on Environmental Sustainability deals with environmental and sustainability issues including climate change and library environmental practices.
Chair: David Selden, National Indian Law Library
AALL Conference Travel Offset Project – helps to offset the carbon footprint of AALL members traveling to the annual meeting and raises funds to provide solar heaters, and financial assistance, for struggling Native American families living in tribal communities.
Overall Committee Charge
To assist the AALL board, staff, its members and libraries to achieve the goals of the AALL Resolution on Sustainability in Law Libraries.
Goal 1: The committee will develop and communicate best practices in libraries and programs that support environmental sustainability.
- Work with AALL offices, AALL annual and chapter meetings, and libraries of all types
- Publish best practices on the Committee website
- Provide presentations on sustainability issues and best practices
Goal 2: The committee will provide direct assistance and guidance to groups and individuals to help implement sustainability actions.
- Contact information will be provided for “experts” or sub-committees working on specific sustainability topics
- Practical tips will offered by identified Committee “experts” to help develop strategies to implement sustainability actions
Selected areas of focus
- Energy Consumption & Conservation
- Carbon Offsets
- Purchasing Policies
- Striving for “Zero Waste” (recycling, compost, repurpose)
- Healthful Workplace
- Establishing workplace “green committee” or liaison with campus/organizational sustainability entities
- Paper and Printing
- Local Food