Cataloging Minutes

Cataloging Committee Minutes

  • 2015 Minutes (Philadelphia)

    Cataloging and Classification Standing Committee
    2014 Annual Meeting Minutes
    July 19, 2015, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

    This year for the first time we tried a new formula. The time slot for the Cat & Class Roundtable was eliminated, but we were allotted 90 minutes for the Standing Committee Meeting. We used the time to simply give highlights of the various reports and then we had some free floating discussion time during the second part of the meeting.

    Representatives’ Reports

    MAC Representative

    Jean Pajerek reminded the group that the MARC Advisory Committee (MAC) has discussed a number of new proposals both at the Mid-Winter ALA Meeting in Chicago and at the Annual ALA meeting in San Francisco. She particularly noted the discussion paper presented in San Francisco on best practices for URIs in MARC bibliographic and authority records. Agood summary of the paper and more information on other proposals are in her report on MARC Advisory Committee (MAC).

    CC:DA Representative

    Robert Bratton briefly spoke about the changes in the governing structure of RDA and the Joint Steering Committee plan to transition to become the RDA Steering Committee (RSC). Robert also reminded us that the AALL proposal to eliminate “Laws, etc.” in uniform titles was approved by the CC:DA earlier in the year, and it is likely to be finally approved by the Joint Steering Committee. More details on this and other issues discussed at CC:DA are explained in his report: ALA ALCTS CaMMS Committee on Cataloging: Description & Access (CC:DA).

    SAC Representative

    Lia Contursi highlighted a few points of discussion held at the ALA Midwinter and Annual by the Subject Analysis Committee (SAC). The Policy and Standard Division of the Library of Congress approved a list of 175 general terms that are now in the genre authority file and can be applied by the catalogers.

    The Library of Congress Demographic Group Terms (LCDGT) is in its final phase, refining the compilation of the vocabulary describing creators and intended audience of a work. This is a project done exclusively by members of the Library of Congress, but once the list of term will be completed there will be an opportunity for the specialized groups like the AALL law catalogers to propose additions or possible changes. A SAC Working Group on Demographic Group Terms is currently working on a list of endonyms for Indian tribes. More details can be found in the report: ALA ALCTS CaMMS Subject Analysis Committee.

    Working Groups’ Reports

    Classification and Subject Cataloging (CSCAG)

    Yael Mandelstam reported that her working group has discussed the use of the law genre Bar journals and is considering to expanded the scope note to include periodicals published not only by the bars but also by other lawyers associations.

    Under the advice of the Library of Congress PSD, the law genre Legislative speeches is being eliminated, to be incorporated as a UF term under the general term Speeches. Law catalogers are encouraged to consult and use the General Genre/Form Terms, and use them in conjunction with the Law Genre/Form Terms, when appropriate. More details are in the report: CSCAG Annual Report 2014-2015.

    Vendor-Supplied Records (VRAG)

    Angela Jones and Caroline Walters highlighted from their report the important news that the vendors they have contacted during the course of the year are interested in the possibility to create MARC records for their digital collections. They also informed us that Margie Maes has been nominated AALL Vendor Liaison, and that moving forward she will coordinate all the communications between the VRAG Group and the vendors. More details are in the report: VRAG Annual Report 2014-2015.

    Descriptive Cataloging (DCAG)

    George Prager explained that the proposal to discontinue Laws, etc. was approved by CC:DA under the guidance of Robert Bratton, but it is now going to be discussed by the Joint Steering Committee at their November 2015 meeting. JSC is expected to approve it and the change will be incorporated in the April 2016 update of the RDA Toolkit. The DCAG Group has also worked on a document that proposes best practices for variant names of treaties in different languages. Another subgroup of DCAG has been working on establishing best practices to record extensive statements of responsibility. The team has produced a discussion paper that is linked in the DCAG Annual Report.

    Some more research is needed on the use of the best practices of the relationship designators specific to law. More details are in the report: DCAG Annual Report 2014-2015.

    Jolande Goldberg gave us her update on the activities of the Library of Congress Policy and Standards Division. Her full report is appended below.

    Aaron Kuperman reported that there are currently 2 vacancies in law cataloging at the Library of Congress. He also informed us that PSD will make changes to the following headings:

    Same-sex marriage (in the Classification Schedule); Bankruptcy (in Classification and Subject Headings); Economic policy (in Subject Headings); Computers and law (Classification).

    During the free-floating conversation Melody Lembke and Melissa Beck gave us an update on the progress of their work: Cataloging Legal Literature in RDA (CLL4). The final product is expected to be ready by the end of the year. It will be available as a database but also in print format, though, it is designed to be interactive, therefore it is recommended that it be used in its electronic form. Moreover, having access to it electronically will guarantee timely updates, which will be inevitably necessary over time. It is a resource organized more organically than RDA, in fact it is ordered according to the format of the resource to be cataloged. It will include not only information about description and access but will also include instructions and suggestions on subject headings, genre headings, classification. It will also be accompanied by examples and related links to other resources. There is a plan to incorporate the CLL4 into Cataloger’s Desktop.

    Melody and Melissa gave a sneak-peak of CLL4 twice during the course of the Annual Meeting at the exhibition stand of HeinOnline, which is publishing the database and its electronic and print versions.

    Jean Pajerek, Ted Pitts and Melissa Beck who are the members of the DCAG team working on additions to distinguish access points for law materials summarized the RDA instructions they analyzed. They presented the issues encountered and offered their final conclusions and recommendations for best practices.

    The Cat & Class meeting ended at 9:00 a.m.
    (Respectfully submitted by Lia Contursi)

    Jolande E. Goldberg, Law Classification Specialist, Library of Congress LS/Policy & Standards Division
    Report [at TS-SIS Cataloging and Classification Standing Committee Meeting and Roundtable]

    A. LC Classification Schedules KIA-KIL: Law of Indigenous Peoples in the Americas: North America

    1. KIE-KIK Indigenous law: United States is edited/updated and ready for use.
    (Please hold off on proposals for the next three weeks)

    2. Libby Dechmann is still editing KIA: Arctic and sub-Arctic (including Northern Canada and Alaska), followed by KIB-KID: Indigenous law: Canada (General, Eastern, and Western Canada). Announcements will follow.

    3. The development of KIL: Indigenous Law: México is completed and ready for conversion. Tribes and Indigenous sources are presented in three (recognized) geographic arrangements: Northern; Western and Central; and South and Southeastern Regions. This completes at the same time the development for North America.

    4. KIM-KIP Indigenous law: Central America (including Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua) is presently researched for classification and for mounting on the portal. I hope to finalize the research on Central America together with my interns by mid- August.

    KF8200-8568. Traditionally, Indian law is divided into Tribal law and Federal Indian law. Classes KF8200-8228 (KF: Law of the United States. Indians) were – in consultation with the reference staff of the LC Law Library – substantially redesigned and expanded to KF 8200-8578 as the definitive Class for Federal Indian law (subarranged by the revised Table KF6). For the first time, a full development of the trust system was added to KF.For inclusion in the KF redevelopment, the important Federal acts with related regulations and other legal materials on all Indian- related subjects still under the purview of the US Congress, were researched and selected; all NARs (over 140) for acts, regulations, agencies, programs, etc., were established at the Law Team (Phil George).

    Reference structures between KF and KIE-KIK were carefully developed. These integrated operations were very important because they allowed for a cleaner division of the contents of the new schedules with their “grey zones.”

    During completion of the Canadian part of the Portal, Goldberg started work on revision and expansion of the law schedule KE: Canada: Indians (a similar redesign and expansion as for KF8200+).

    The Classes KF8200-KF8578 can be used now.

    6. Class KVJ: Hawaii (to ca. 1900) was vetted by stake holders (particularly, e.g., Law School/University of Hawaii; State Archives of Hawaii) and is implemented. For the new class, the geo-political position among the Pacific jurisdictions in the regional schedule KL-KWX, was preferred by these constituencies, in particular the Hawaiian law and library community and the State Archives (with enormous holdings, analog and digital). Ruth Horie of the University of Hawaii (Hamilton Library, retired) and Jason Achiu (Official Translator at the State Archives of Hawaii) are committed to work further on the translation to the official Hawaiian language and on proposals for appropriate subject headings complementing the new schedule.

    B. The LC Law Classification Portal for Indigenous Peoples in the Americas: A collaborative project between LC Library Services and the Law Library of Congress

    By agreement between LC Library Services (LS) and the Law Library of Congress (LCC), the construction of an electronic Portal for Indigenous Law is now rapidly developing. Classes KIA-KIX: Law of Indigenous Peoples in the Americas are used as a pilot test bed of data with the aim to enhance user access to digital content of Indigenous legal information at LC, at other institutions, and on the Web.

    1. Partnering in this work is Tina Gheen, Librarian for evolving Technologies of LCC, and Jennifer Gonzales of the LCC.

    2. This open access portal is currently a component part of the Law Library’s Guide to Law Online, utilizing for the time being the existing LCC Guide to Law structure.

    3. As a navigation tool, interactive maps were successfully introduced (so far of Canada, U.S., and Alaska). A larger interactive map of North America, including México, is currently prepared.

    4. For the US map, the Geographic Standards and Criteria Branch, Geography Division of the US Census Bureau, offered copies of their own very accurate and detailed maps as models for the portal maps.

    5. So far, the Arctic Regions, including Alaska, the whole of Canada (North, East and West Regions) and the United State Regions can be accessed by maps:

    6. An updated/upgraded (pdf) version of current draft schedules KIA-KIL (Indigenous law: North America) is currently being mounted on the portal as well, inviting the researcher for further exploration.

    C. Intern Program

    Goldberg is actively participating/exploring a new LC Intern Program, the Knowledge Navigators Program for Unpaid Interns (established by Roberta Shaffer, then Associate Librarian for Library Services, and maturing to a formalized process), proves to be one of the more successful LC programs:

    1. From June-Mid August 2014, and for 2015 (June-Mid August) G. obtained three Summer Interns who worked under her supervision on tasks, mostly formatting classification data on spread sheets for use of portal pages (e.g., tribal websites and other legal web sources, introduced into the portal following the classification sequence), as shown on the portal.
    2. From January to end of June 2015, the project was joined by a Political Science student from Northeastern U. under the cooperative agreement between LC and Northeastern (unpaid intern); and
    3. Again, from June to Mid-August 2015, two interns were assigned to the project.

    Without these interns, we could not have done easily the tedious work the portal requires. But it takes time in another way: they get solid introductions to different departments and the overall work of the Library.

    On the other hand, such intern programs (for the future) are real recruiting tools. It is difficult to describe the enthusiasm with which these young people take to the Indigenous issues and projects!

    D. General Name Authorities

    1. Besides authority work by LC staff (Ana Cristan and Phil George/Law Team), Emeritus Richard Amelung returned almost full-time to a massive project: to create the name authorities for the 900 plus Indigenous entities (indigenous peoples, communities and organizations in the new schedules: KIB-KID: Canada, up to date ca. 395 and preparing – during this process – over 130 not yet accounted-for NARs for Alaska Natives. The authority for the form of names of Canadian Indigenous is the Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (Department) which is also the acknowledging agency (and functions in the same way as the Bureau of Indian Affairs/Department of the Interior for American Indians in the US).

    2. This will be followed by NAR work on Northern Canada, and Mexican and Central American tribes and communities.

    3. For ongoing authority work for Federal acts, regulations, treaties, etc. see above No. 5.

    E. Related-bridging Activities

    Goldberg is an active member of the recently established LC/FEDLINK American Indian Library Initiative (AILI), under chairmanship of George Franchoise, DOI/BIA Library, a working group in support of “the consortial work of agencies who are responding to the call of the Presidential Executive Order 13592 (12/02/2011).” ) This inter-departmental committee is expected to add on a regular basis other agencies or institutions. The group is meeting bi-monthly and communicates regularly by email or through

    The Portal is envisioned to serve as a communication tool in the work with tribal libraries.

    F. Continuing Reclassification Projects. Classes JX and E/F

    1. Over 1000 JX titles were reclassed to Classes KZ and JZ;

    2. During redevelopment of KF8200+, over 800 titles (stemming from the old KF8200 plus, and limited selections from Class E and Class H) were reclassed either to KF8200-8578 or to KIE-KIK with the help of Richard Amelung and George Prager during visits at LC.

    3. Over 100 titles were reclassed to KIF-KIK.

  • 2014 Minutes (San Antonio)

    Cataloging and Classification Standing Committee
    2014 Annual Meeting Minutes
    July 13, 2014, San Antonio, Texas

    The meeting was called at about 7:05 by Lia Contursi.

    A sign-up sheet was circulated. There were approximately 40 attendees. Lia announced that Pat Sayre McCoy ended her term as AALL Representative to MARC Advisory Committee (MAC). Her successor is Jean Pajerek, who will serve from July 2014 to July 2017. Pat was not able to attend AALL in San Antonio, but she prepared the report of the latest MAC Meetings at ALA in Las Vegas. Jean Pajerek kindly agreed to read the report.

    MARC Advisory Committee (MAC) – Pat Sayre-McCoy

    From the MAC reports we learned that there had been a discussion on the proposal no. 2014-06 for the new subfield 388 for Time Period of Creation Terms. Such proposal addresses the need to record the time period of creation or origin of works and expressions. Discussion of paper no. 2-14-DP05: this is a proposal from the British Library proposes to add the date of establishment and termination of a corporate body in a 046 MARC field. There was also a very lively discussion about the paper no. 2014-DP06 which suggests using field 037 to record and identifying the various vendors for a particular electronic resources’ title. There was no consensus on this document since many MAC Members felt that this was not a cataloging issue but an acquisition interest, and therefore, inappropriate for consideration in the MARC form.

    ALA Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) – Suzanne Graham

    Suzanne reported that the SAC Subgroup for Music Genre terms completed the creation of the music genre/form vocabulary, while the SAC subgroups for religion, literature and general terms are finalizing their work. The Genre/Form Implementation subcommittee for SAC plans to compile a document for best practices. The Library of Congress Medium of Performance Thesaurus for Music (LCMPT) was released in February 2014.

    SAC has proposed the use of the field 751 in bibliographic records for place of origin of the genre /form terms stored in the 655 field, but MAC approved the 370 (in both bibliographic and authority records ) for this data.

    OCLC continues the project to populate bibliographic records with FAST headings.

    An update of Cataloger’s Desktop is expected in early fall.

    Geographic SH updates:

    • Malaysia was one of the 5 exceptions of federal geographic areas in which a constituent geographic entity did not need to be qualified, but “Malaysia” will soon need to be used as a geographical hierarchical qualifier. LC is working with UC San Diego to update the authority records.
    • Cape Verde is now Cabo Verde, and South Australia can be abbreviated as S.A.

    Lia Contursi is the new AALL representative liaison to SAC, July 2014-July 2017.

    ALA Committee on Cataloging: Description & Access (CC:DA) – John Hostage

    John announced that he ended his term as AALL Representative to CC:DA. Robert Bratton is his successor from January 2015 to July 2017. John reported that the RDA update on access points for treaties has ben accepted and implemented this year. He also announced that the AALL law catalogers will continue to work on a proposal to eliminate the conventional title “Laws, etc.” from the RDA instructions.

    Robert Bratton gave his insights about his experience with the BIBFRAME Testbed. Many Cat & Class members attending the meeting expressed a strong interest in learning more about the developments of the BIBFRAME project as it is being developed under the leadership of the Library of Congress. Robert suggested that he could prepare a presentation on BIBFRAME for AALL 2015. Jean Pajerek also expressed her strong interest in developing a program on BIBFRAME for next year. The entire audience was very enthusiastic about it.

    Classification and Subject Cataloging Advisory Working Group (CSCAG)-Yael Mandelstam

    Yael reported that the proposed use of 751 for jurisdictions associated with the genre terms nested in the 655 field was rejected by the CSCAG. The group has started to work on a document for best practices, which will eventually be part of the Library of Congress Genre/Form Headings Manual. The group will continue to work on strategies to implement law genre retrospectively. [More details in the CSCAG Report posted on the CSCAG web page:]

    Vendor-Supplied Records Advisory Working Group (VRAG) – Angela Jones

    Angela reported that one of the most important projects of the group this year, has been the preparation of the document of the Task Force on Vendor-Supplied Bibliographic Records Creation and Distribution Model. The document proposes and strongly recommends that the vendors of electronic resources provides the MARC records with their products. Communications and discussions with all the parties involved will continue. . [More details in the VRAG Report posted on the VRAG web page:]

    Descriptive Cataloging Advisory Working Group (DCAG) – Melissa Beck

    Melissa explained that she is the outgoing chair of DCAG. She announced that George Prager will be the incoming chair. One of the major concerns of this group in the coming year will be the ongoing review of the special RDA instructions that apply to law cataloging. The group intends to propose more changes for instructions that do not function well for the descriptive cataloging of law materials. At the same time the group will start some discussion on best RDA best practices for law. [More details in the DCAG Report posted on the DCAG web page:]

    Jolande Goldberg, LC Liaison to TS-SIS: Library of Congress Update gave an introduction on her newly designed KIA-KIX Class Schedule on the Indigenous People of the Americas. Her detailed report is appended below.

    Jackie Magagnosc and Ellen McGrath proposed to start a reporting routine at AALL, specifically to inform our community on any update issued by the Program of Cooperative Cataloging. After some discussion we came to the conclusion that the best way to keep abreast with all the developments established by PCC is to continue to systematically forward the news to the Cat & Class list as they become available.

    The meeting was adjourned at 8:15 a.m.
    Respectfully submitted by Lia Contursi

    Jolande E. Goldberg Policy & Standards Division Acquisitions & Bibliographic Access Directorate, Library of Congress, Sunday, July 13, 2014

    1. Law of Indigenous Peoples in the Americas/North America KIA-KIK. This year the new classification finally has been added to the LC Law Classification as the latest and last schedule and is currently proofed & updated in the “live” ClassWeb database.

    2. An associated expansion of Class KF (Law of the United States) from KF8200 through 8578, the original brief Section for Federal Indian Law, is in draft stage. The subject arrangement loosely follows KF patterns in the broad range of subjects legislated and regulated by the federal government, including a full development of the Federal trust system illustrating the impact on Indian self-government. A solid reference structure is linking particular subject areas which are present in both schedules. In agreement with the Law Library, KF includes for each subject the most important Federal acts, regulations, legislative materials (all with NARs), and landmark decisions, while Indian laws and regulations, organizations, etc., following implementation of federal law, will be classed in KIE-KIK. The block of KF8200-8578 will also be offered as an alternative in KIE, as KIE8200-KIE8578.
    I have talked about my preference not to separate KF and KIE materials, the reason being that the situation is still similar to a semi-colonial state.

    3. This expansion of KF started to appear during the week following the transfer of KIA-KIK into ClassificationWeb (begin of June). The expansion of the KF schedule also will be entered into the database directly and will not appear on monthly lists. The KF8200+ numbers are still in process and are subject to revisions and changes as well.

    4. The KF revision remains for the time being on the Directorate’s Webpage under NEWS together with information as we progress towards formal implementation.

    5. Reclassification of the materials in KF8200+ is nearly completed with the assistance of our very own George Prager, who did time at LC. (Many times) A number of resources will have duplicate numbers.

    6. JX reclassification is grinding on. Diana Menashi– are you there? — deserves a medal of honor. She had taken on the section Law of Peace and Peace enforcement-War, which is nearing the end. A large amount of name authorities had to be established, and a significant number of books without records were on the shelf. A significant number of JZ materials have been sent to the main collection – – a true collection cleanup! And best of all: the KZ classification gets revised along the line as well! Richard Amelung spent a whole week at LC reclassing a load of JX materials.

    7. Collection reviews of Classes E and F began already in the early 90’s at the time when I worked on KZ (Law of Nations). I conducted extensive collection reviews with political science librarians and colleagues of the Law Library, in particular for Classes E and F. I knew that, due to older policies, these two classes had swallowed up substantial amounts of legal materials, not only international law and relations, but also North American Indigenous materials such as Treaties with the Indians, hearings, the records of the Indian territory, court reports, Territory commissioner reports, etc. etc. These materials had been buried in a huge A-Z arrangement (the famous E99.A-Z). It would be prohibitive at this time to reclass even a substantial portion of the law, but some important materials will be reclassed, if they are also going to be made available digitally via the coming law portal.

    8. Classification Portal to Indigenous Law. This is a very exciting development with lots of possibilities which I have prospected for several years and which takes currently shape. Tina Gheen of the Law Library and I explored the existing Guide to Law Online structure for a portal to tribal law. Over the last few months, we have populated the Guide with data accessible through a regional map. We will later during the TS Program Classification from Alpha to Omega show this development as our Omega. We are working with our Geography & Maps division on map designs, as well as with the US Census Bureau.

    9. LC and its Federal Library Information Network FEDLINK have launched an American Indian Libraries Initiative. At their first session and consecutive Annual Expo, we were invited to demo the Portal. In this effort, I am representing Library Services. Consortial work has begun with a number of executive branch agencies responding to the Presidential Executive Order 13592(12/2/2011) to “increase the capacity of educational institutions, including…our Tribal Colleges and Universities, to deliver high-quality education and related social services to all American Indian and Alaska Native students.” The Department of Interior Library surveyed these institutions to identify areas in which federal libraries could lend support. We hope to have the opening event at the White House Library in the fall.

    During the next few months, the structure for inter-departmental work will be created. The Office of Communications invited a write -up on the efforts with a spotlight on the Indigenous Portal. The publication of the article will coincide with the Native American Heritage Month.

    1. Bibframe pilot for Cataloging was just announced by the Directorate.
    2. Outreach to other Institutions and to colleagues will be officially supported.
    3. We are hit by the sequester now. A dire situation for staffing our office. Ana retires end of the year? Who takes on Name authority work? Bruce Johnson is up for retirement and Loch McLean. How ’bout myself?

  • 2013 Minutes (Seattle)

    Cataloging and Classification Standing Committee
    2013 Annual Meeting Minutes
    July 14, 2013 – Seattle, Washington

    The meeting was called to order at 7:04 AM by George Prager. A sign up sheet was passed around. There were 48 attendees. George announced that this was his last term as Chair of the Cataloging and Classification Committee. His 2012-2013 committee annual report is available at: The new Chair will be Amalia Contursi. Her term begins at the end of the conference.

    Pat Sayre McCoy – AALL Representative to Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information (MARBI)

    Pat announced that MARBI completed the proposals for the new MARC fields that were required by RDA. She also reported that MARBI was officially canceled at the end of ALA 2013. The MARC Advisory Committee is a new group that is continuing the MARBI committee format and transiting it to MARC format and standards. The Committee is also continuing to develop MARC fields and sub-fields. Voting for membership will be elaborated on at the next MARC Advisory Committee meeting.

    John Hostage – AALL Representative to ALA Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA)

    John stated that the AALL proposal for the revision of RDA regarding treaties was approved with very little changes by CC:DA. The proposal will be discussed at the JSC meeting in the fall, and if approved, RDA should be updated by early 2014 with the changes. The proposed changes will instruct that the authorized access points for treaties be based on title rather than the first-named signatory (which could have resulted in many international treaties entered under Afghanistan or Albania). CC:DA is also working on a list of additional relationship designators for persons and corporate bodies to be included in Appendix I of RDA. Another area of focus is RDA instructions for names of places; John is serving on a task force that is studying how to streamline these instructions.

    Suzanne Graham – AALL Representative to Subject Analysis Committee (SAC)

    Suzanne stated that several new genre terms for law have been approved. She is working on identifying appropriate MARC fields for non-subject information that is currently being given in subject fields of the MARC format for the time when we move away from including that information in 650-651 fields. Suzanne stated that MARBI approved three new MARC fields for use in bibliographic and authority records. These fields are 385 (intended audience), 386 (creator demographics), and 648 and 388 (chronology of the work). Current Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) will serve as the basis of a new controlled vocabulary for demographic terms that are used with the 385 and 386 fields.

    Suzanne also reported that the SAC RDA Implementation Subcommittee wrote a discussion paper to address subject analysis under RDA. These suggestions can be reviewed in their entirety in Suzanne’s full report. The paper will be sent to the RDA Joint Steering Committee for review at its meeting in November 2013.

    Suzanne Graham – Chair, Cataloging and Subject Policy Advisory Working Group

    A group of 12 law librarians worked on identifying crime terms in LCSH. These crime terms will be available to have the subdivision Law and legislation. The SACO Law Funnel continues to welcome new proposals and new administrators.

    Cindy Spadoni – Chair, Task Group on Vendor-Supplied Records

    Cindy reported that the Task Group was fairly quiet this year, working with two vendors on assuring that they were cataloging e-resources according to the Provider-Neutral Record standard.

    Melissa Beck – Chair, Descriptive Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group (DCAG)

    Melissa praised John Hostage’s dedication and hard work in successfully passing the RDA change proposal for treaties through CC:DA. In the coming year, the DCAG will be working on areas of RDA that could benefit from best practices recommendations for the law cataloging community.

    Jolande Goldberg, LC Liaison to TS-SIS: Library of Congress Update

    Jolande stated that the law schedule Class K will be completed this year.

    She has finished working on the classification for the law of Hawaii to approximately 1900. The preferred classification will be in Class KVJ, which places pre-1900 Hawaii among the other Pacific jurisdictions in the regional schedule KL-KWX. For libraries wishing to combine all Hawaiian materials in the pre-existing United States subclass KFH Hawaii, there will also be an option to use a 3000 number table applied to KIH5000. Archival and other documents of historical importance from pre-1900 Hawaii have been digitized at the State Archives/Honolulu and will be made accessible eventually via links in the new Hawaii classification.

    MARC 21 classification records are being created for classification numbers in the new Class KIA-KIK, Law of Indigenous Peoples: North America. This class will include numbers for major reference sources; it is accompanied by an extensive Guide to application and an Index of URL’s for Websites and Web resources used for this classification. The KIA-KIK schedule will be ready by the end of the year. Most of the numbers in KF8200-KF8228, the Indian law section of the KF schedule, will be closed, with the exception of the numbers for federal law pertaining to Native Americans. The latter section will be expanded. Similar operations await execution for Class KE (Canada). A related project includes digitizing the Indian collection in LC Class E.

    The online functionality is further investigated for the possibility of linking identified and curated URLs to specific classification numbers, or linking from specific classification numbers to selected authoritative Web resources, as well as developing a means for using maps for accessing Native Jurisdiction’s Web sites and displaying constitutional/legal information or for enhancing visually the content of particular areas in the classification by maps. Recently, the entire Class K has been transferred into the LC Linked Data Service ( which has converted and exposed Class K as linked data, free of charge.

    Jolande is also working on classification of the law of indigenous Mexico (Class KIL) and Protestant canon law (Class KBX), as well as the reclassification of JX to KZ, JZ, or K. So far, about 1,000 international law titles from JX have been reclassed to KZ and K. Extensive revisions (expansions and cancellations) of the affected classes (JZ, KZ, and K), go hand in hand with the reclassification.

    The meeting was concluded by George Prager at 8:15 a.m.

  • 2012 Minutes (Boston)

    Cataloging and Classification Standing Committee
    2012 Annual Meeting Minutes
    July 22, 2012 — Boston, Massachusetts

    The meeting was called to order at 7:07 AM by George Prager.

    The Standing Report for the committee is already available on the TS website ( George asked that individuals inform him by September 1st of their status with the committee (i.e. continue, leave, etc.).

    Ellen McGrath – Subject Advisory Committee (SAC)

    Ellen stated that her full report was available on the TS website ( She said that this being her first year as the SAC representative, her main work was attending ALA and writing the report.

    Ellen highlighted several points from her report. One point was two particular subcommittees: the Genre/Form Implementation Subcommittee and the RDA Subcommittee. The Genre/Form group is more active while the RDA group is in monitoring mode. The Genre/Form group prepared and presented three discussion papers to MARBI. These papers were approved and now the Subcommittee will development them into MARBI proposals.

    Ellen also reported on the use of the 072 field for subject category codes in subject authority records. George asked about the timeline for implementation, and Jolande said the implementation document is available on the LC Acquisitions and Bibliographic Access webpage. (

    Pat Sayre-McCoy – Machine Readable Bibliographic Information Committee (MARBI)

    Pat stated that her full report will be available on the TS website shortly.

    Pat said that the Music Committee has been the most active due to the RDA changes. The most significant proposal for law is Proposal 2012-02: Identifying Titles Related to the Entity Represented by the Authority Record in the MARC21 Format. This would create a new 672 field “to list titles that are related in some way to the entity represented by the authority record, and also titles known not to be related to it.” Currently this information, if given at all, is buried in the 670 field. This will be discussed further at ALA Midwinter.

    Pat’s report is now available on the TS website (

    John Hostage – ALA Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA)

    John reported on the work of the CC:DA, and his report is available on the TS website ( RDA will be officially implemented by the three U.S. national libraries (LC, NAL, NLM) in March, 2013. CC:DA is also working on a replacement for MARC 21. Also the AALL proposal concerning the rules for certain place names is close to adoption. The exception for the United States, Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom will be maintained, while Malaysia will be dropped. There was some discussion within the Committee of adding China to the exceptions list.

    John reported that he has served on some task forces, including one reviewing the use of the Chicago Manual of Style in RDA, and another to revise the document Building International Descriptive Cataloging Standards.

    Finally, John discussed the RDA treatment of treaties (entry under first signatory) and the use of uniform titles of Laws, etc. and Treaties, etc. as major concerns for law catalogers, and something we need to discuss and be aware of in anticipation of RDA’s implementation.

    Task Group on Vendor-Supplied Bibliographic Records

    Alan Keely and Angela Jones reported for Cindy Spadoni, the chair of the Task Group on Vendor Supplied Bibliographic Records, who could not attend the conference. They reported on the group’s work analyzing and making recommendation on the following vendor record sets:

    • Gale and the Making of Modern Law (MOML).
    • Cassidy and Hein Online, particularly in the area of 260 and 264 fields.
    • Practising Law Institute and their ebook library, PLI Discover.
    • Proquest Legislative Insight-a liaison relationship was established to work with Proquest on this legislative history product they had acquired from LexisNexis. Alan Keely is working with a senior cataloger at Proquest. Also there was an issue with Proquest working with customers to purge old Lexis and Library Solutions records with out-of-date links (1/2 million links were being deleted). Another solution is to use a crosswalk schema for fixing these records.

    Classification and Subject Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group

    Suzanne Graham reported as the new chair of the group. There is now an “Ask an Expert” Members Question Forum project available to everyone ( Suzanne also reported on the SACO Law Funnel Project, also with a link on the website ( There is a TS-SIS program this afternoon (Sunday, July 22nd) titled “Creating Legal Subject Headings.” Suzanne and George are writing an article for a forthcoming issue of Spectrum on the Law Funnel Project.

    Descriptive Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group (DCAG)

    Melissa Beck reported as the new chair of this group. Melissa stated she had been working closely with John Hostage in his role as the AALL representative to CC:DA. We are looking at a lot of work and upheaval coming with RDA implementation with much to follow from many different institutions. Melissa stated she was particularly interested in examining training issues.

    Genre/Form Law Terms

    Yael Mandelstam reported on this project that came out of the CSCP. Yael asked that everyone start applying them to our records. In addition, Yael has been working with Ed O’Neill at OCLC to develop strategies for automating the addition of genre/form terms to the database.

    Library of Congress Update

    Jolande Goldberg gave the Library of Congress update.

    • Crosswalks from K to KZ: there are major revisions to both schedules. These changes will lead to a review of subject headings. Some subject headings that were mostly neutral have had the subdivision of “International law” added. Two examples of this are “Arbitration” and “Human trafficking.”
    • Indigenous Peoples law (KIA-KIX): the schedules are being edited and cleaned up, and the conversion will start soon. One area is that of Sovereignty of indigenous people. Name authority work of ancient and modern Native American headings is being done, with about 1,000 records completed so far. Jolande was hopeful to add links in Cataloger’s Desktop. KIA-KIX are the last schedules for the law of the Americas. An outline is available on the LC website (
    • Linked Data Services for subject headings and name authority file: Jolande said that adding classification numbers has been approved. This can be viewed at Eventually it will be transferred to for free use by everyone.
    • KBX Protestant law: to be finalized for review by the end of 2012.
    • Reclassification of JX in cooperation with the Rare Book Division.
    • Cherokee Romanization has been approved.

    Jolande concluded by thanking George for his help at LC.

    George made a few announcements and then adjourned the meeting at 8:29 AM.

    Respectfully submitted-
    Michael Maben
    Indiana University Maurer School of Law Library

  • 2011 Minutes (Philadelphia)

    Cataloging and Classification Standing Committee
    2011 Annual Meeting Minutes
    July 24, 2011 — Philadelphia, Pennsylvania


    Chair George Prager announced that he has compiled a list of Cataloging and Classification Standing Committee members from TS-SIS survey responses. Anyone else who wishes to join the committee should contact George.

    Representatives’ reports

    ALA ALCTS CCS Subject Analysis Committee (SAC)

    Yael Mandelstam presented highlights from her 6th and final annual report. Her full report is posted to the TS-SIS website. Ellen McGrath has been appointed by the incoming AALL President, Darcy Kirk, to succeed Yael as SAC representative.

    SAC meets twice at each ALA Annual and Midwinter meeting. These meetings consist largely of reports. The real work takes place in the subcommittees.

    Yael is a member of the SAC Subcommittee on Genre/Form Implementation, which addressed the following issues this year:

    1. Reviewing all current LCSH form subdivisions in 185 authority records and identifying terms of general applications that could be recommended for inclusion in the Library of Congress genre/form thesaurus (LCGFT). The group’s recommendations were submitted to SAC and if approved, will be submitted to LC Policy and Standards Division (PSD). Many of the headings cross disciplines or are general, e.g. periodicals, dictionaries, etc.
    2. Exploring how to associate genre/form terms with various “aspects” or “facets” (e.g., class of creator, intended audience, jurisdiction, language), since genre/form terms can’t be subdivided.

    The new SAC subcommittee on RDA was formed to address subject-related chapters of RDA. ALCTS created the position of a SAC Liaison to the Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA) because SAC is not formally charged to respond to the Joint Steering Committee for Development of RDA (JSC) and subject analysis issues are not under the purview of CC:DA. SAC will be the decision-making body for formulating the ALA responses, and the decisions will be communicated to CC:DA.

    LC has started to apply law genre/form terms. Three terms are being reconsidered:

    1. “Loose-leaf services” – This genre term was established for comprehensive services, but such services may soon become obsolete, so the term may be cancelled. The term “loose-leaf publications” is not being considered since it’s a format rather than a genre/form.
    2. “Arbitration rules” was proposed.
    3. “Commentaries (Civil law systems)” may be changed to “Commentaries (Law)”, but the issue has not yet been resolved.

    Proposals for new law genre/form headings should go to Yael or via the new SACO Law Funnel Project.

    Yael is now chairing a new CSCP (Classification and Subject Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group) subcommittee to work on implementation of law genre/form headings by applying them retrospectively to WorldCat and local databases. She is working with OCLC’s Ed O’Neill to develop crosswalks between OCLC numbers and the appropriate genre/form terms so libraries can merge these terms into their databases. Yael cautioned that this is complex territory, and global updating won’t be possible for all legacy data.

    The full SAC report is available at:

    Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information (MARBI)

    George Prager highlights some of this year’s MARBI activities.

    Multiple 264 fields will be differentiated by a second indicator value for production, publication, distribution, copyright, and manufacture statements. (Field 260 will be retained for legacy data). No implementation date has been set. (Proposal No. 2011-02)

    Field 378 in the authority format will be used for fuller form of personal name (as we currently use $q). (Proposal No. 2011-06)

    Field 368 in the authority format will be used for additional corporate body attributes, e.g. “firm” or “orchestra.” (Proposal No. 2011-07)

    New MARC fields and subfields have been added to record data required by RDA Chapter 3. (Proposal No. 2011-08)

    1. Field 340 – Physical Medium (expansion of field; to be renamed: Carrier Characteristics). New subfields have been added for the RDA elements: Generation, Layout, Book format, Font size, and Polarity.
    2. Field 344 – Sound Characteristics (New)
    3. Field 345 – Projection Characteristics of Motion Picture Film (New)
    4. Field 346 – Video Characteristics (New)
    5. Field 347 – Digital File Characteristics (New)

    Discussion paper 2011-05 presents three possible MARC fields that might be suitable for medium of musical performance.

    In May the Library of Congress released an announcement entitled, “Transforming Our Bibliographic Framework.” Deanna Marcum, Associate Librarian of Congress for Library Services, is leading an initiative at LC to analyze the present and future environment, identify the components of the framework to support users, and plan for the evolution from the present framework to the future, for all institutions that depend on bibliographic data shared by LC and its partners. The full announcement is available at

    Pat Sayre-McCoy has been appointed by Darcy Kirk to succeed George as MARBI representative.

    The full MARBI report is available at:

    ALA ALCTS CCS Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA)

    John Hostage reported that CC:DA has been working on RDA issues pretty much full time. Implementation is scheduled for January 2013 at the earliest.

    A change in the RDA rules for main access points for courts will be considered by the Joint Steering Committee for the Development of RDA (JSC) in November. Without the change, catalogers will still have to perform sometimes extensive research to determine the access point, depending on whether court reports are official or non-official.

    Rules for place names within federations are under debate. Some are arguing for consistency, which others see value in established traditions. Malaysia and federations that are no longer in existence (Yugoslavia, Soviet Union) will be dropped from the instructions. But some hope to see the U.S., Canada, Britain, and Australia all handled uniformly. John Attig has proposed the status quo as an optional alternative. Rules for islands are also being debated.

    The JSC and CC:DA are beginning to work on filling in RDA placeholder chapters for subjects.

    John Hostage has been appointed to a task force to coordinate with SAC.

    The full CC:DA report is available at:

    Task group reports

    Task Group on Vendor-Supplied Bibliographic Records

    Co-chair Angela Jones reported that Gale’s original set of Making of Modern Law: Trials records included duplicate records and none of the records had OCLC numbers. The set has now been revised, and the group is working with Gale to replace the set for subscribers who received the original record set, without charge.

    The group also reviewed Cassidy records for Hein Online’s World Constitutions library and provided feedback. Hein is duplicating some titles in multiple libraries so they can be marketed to non-law customers. Cassidy has begun coding titles as exclusive, and will provide customers with unique titles only, although they can’t do this retrospectively.

    Classification and Subject Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group

    Chair Cindy May reported on three projects initiated by CSCP this year.

    The Member Question Forum Project (Ask an Expert), originally proposed by George Prager, established a forum where TS-SIS members could submit questions on law classification or subject headings and have them reviewed and answered by CSCP volunteers. Members of this task group created a submission form, and webmaster Martin Wisneski linked it to the TS-SIS website. The link reads: “Get Your Classification and Subject Heading Questions Answered!” Submitted forms are automatically emailed to project volunteers, who can then discuss the questions among themselves and provide answers.

    The SACO Funnel Project, coordinated by Suzanne Graham, applied for a SACO law funnel, which was approved at the end of March. The funnel administrators developed a process for review that includes an open period for comment by all members of the CSCP electronic list. Suzanne is working with Paul Frank at the Library of Congress to set up training for funnel administrators. Caroline Young revised an existing funnel submission form specifically for the law funnel. The project has a web page that will be posted on the SACO and the TS-SIS websites.

    The Genre/Form Project is coordinated by Yael Mandelstam. In November 2010, the Library of Congress announced the incorporation of the law genre/form terms into the Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms for Library and Archival Materials (LCGFT). The following January, the AALL Law Genre/Form Implementation Project began. A team of law catalogers joined forces with Ed O’Neill from OCLC to develop strategies for identifying WorldCat records for retrospective application of law genre/form terms.

    The full CSCP report is available at:

    Descriptive Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group

    Rhonda Lawrence reported for this group, which advises and makes informal and official recommendations to the TS-SIS Executive Board regarding AALL positions on national descriptive cataloging policies and standards. It also functions in an advisory capacity to the AALL Representative to CC:DA.

    Melissa Beck has been appointed to succeed Rhonda as the new chair of the Descriptive Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group.

    LC Update

    Jolande Goldberg reported on the KZ7000+ expansion for international criminal law and the International Criminal Court. This was a major undertaking, which also entailed major revisions of the relevant sections of the Class K schedule. Weekly List 23 included the last installment of the KZ adjustments during the actual application of the schedules for a reclass project at LC of about 900 titles originally in Class K. Table KZ12 was created to break up some of the resulting large groups of materials and is also on WL23. George Prager assisted during his sabbatical at LC with the extensive research work for the classification as well as for subject headings and reclassification. The print editions of the two schedules, K and KZ, as well as Jolande’s new introduction to JZ/KZ (historical notes and introduction to application), will be available in early fall.

    Revisions to KF numbers for white slavery and prostitution, as well as other revisions, are already incorporated into Classification Web.

    Jolande also revised LC subject headings related to international law. In some cases the parenthetical phrase (International law) was added to a heading; other subject headings were deemed obsolete and deleted.

    Difficulties searching Classification Web were discussed by the group. A clickable outline summary of each schedule on the left side of the screen would be helpful.

    During development of the latest religious law schedules KBS-KBT (Law of Eastern churches) Jolande did some clean-up work and revisions of schedules KBR (History of Canon law) and BX (Christianity). In particular, name authority records for many of the churches, presented in both schedules, had to be created.

    KIA-KIK Indigenous Law of the Americas will be implemented by LC as a draft. Most of the numbers in KF8208-8228 and KF5660-5662 will be closed, and between 1500- 2000 KF titles from these areas will be reclassed. Over seventy years ago, as a consequence of the Indian Reorganization Act (Howard-Wheeler Act in 1934), Native Americans began to organize themselves as federally recognized, autonomous entities under officially recognized tribal names. As a first step in the development of these schedules, LC changed its earlier policy, and recognized the status of American tribes as sovereign jurisdictions with a one-to-one relationship to the US government. In this new schedule, tribal jurisdictions are arranged by region. The schedules offer many relevant hyperlinks to major governmental websites as bibliographic aids. The legal Native American materials classed by old LC policies in Schedule E will not be reclassed. Most will be available online. “Federal Indian law” (US or Canadian statutory law concerning US and Canadian native peoples) will be kept in KE and KF. There may be an option later to move these sections into KIA-KIK as well.

    A lively discussion ensued on how best to class works about jurisdictions that have changed over time, e.g. Hawaii and many African countries. Generally, the law schedules are based on geography rather than politics, e.g. pre-independence law books concerning what would become the US are classed in KF, pre-statehood law books concerning what would become a state in other areas of the world are classed with that state as constitutional history or under its own heading as an extinct jurisdiction, etc.

    Submitted by George Prager on August 12, 2011, with thanks to Cindy May, Jolande Goldberg, John Hostage, Angela Jones, Rhonda Lawrence, and Yael Mandelstam.