2012 Program Descriptions

The Accidental Archivists: Lessons Learned from a Digital Archive Project (TS-SIS Program) – [Get program handouts]
Monday July 23, 2012 – 1:15-2:15 p.m. – HCC-Room 206

In July 2011, the University of Colorado’s William A. Wise Law Library received a large and unexpected donation of print materials when former dean and prolific scholar David Getches passed away. The library’s small staff, which had limited experience with archives or digitization, suddenly became “accidental archivists,” with a mandated goal to create a digital archive of selected materials from the donation by April 2012. This program traces the development of the project from initiation to completion, and provides a practical case study of what to expect when a library undertakes a digitization project for the first time. The presentation will focus on several key issues: establishing digitization processes and obtaining equipment; funding; gathering permissions; planning; staffing; and using outside sources of assistance.

  • Georgia Briscoe, Speaker
  • Karen Selden, Speaker
  • Robert M. Linz, Speaker

Acquisitions Standing Committee Meeting and Acquisitions Roundtable
Monday, July 23, 2012 — 7:00-8:30 a.m. – Sheraton-Commonwealth

  • Eric Parker, Chair, Northwestern University
  • Agenda
    • Introductions
    • Approval of minutes from 2011 meeting in Philadelphia
    • Old business
      • List of law publishers formerly on Acqweb
      • Collection development/cancellations survey
    • Report from and Q & A with CRIV representative
    • New business
      • Ideas for 2013 programs
      • Any proposals already in the works?
      • Anything else?
      • New Acquisitions Standing Committee Chair for 2012-2014
    • Acquisitions Roundtable
      • State of Your Library report
      • Anything else (time permitting)

Business and Awards Meeting
Sunday, July 24, 2011 — 5:15-6:15 p.m. – HCC-Room 205

  • Ismael Gullon, TS-SIS Chair, Mercer University

Cataloging & Classification Roundtable
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 — 5:00-6:00 p.m. – HCC-Room 205

The individuals listed in 2-5 below will be leading group discussion on the topics, not giving lectures.

  • George Prager, Chair, New York University
  • Agenda
    • Welcome and Introductory remarks (George Prager; 5 minutes)
    • Issues in Genre/Form Implementation (Yael Mandelstam; 15 minutes)
    • Use of the MARC 21 bibliographic 751 field (Yael Mandelstam; 10 minutes)
    • “Best practices” for RDA within the law cataloging community? (Aaron Kuperman; 10 minutes)
    • RDA Training Issues (Aaron Kuperman, et al.; 15 minutes)
    • New business (George Prager; 5 minutes)

Cataloging & Classification Standing Committee Meeting
Sunday, July 22, 2012 — 7:00-8:30 a.m. – HCC-Room 202

  • George Prager, Chair, New York University
  • Agenda
    • Welcome/Announcements (10 minutes)
    • Representatives’ reports (40 minutes)
      • ALA ALCTS CCS Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) – Ellen McGrath (15 minutes)
      • Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information (MARBI) – Pat Sayre-McCoy (10 minutes)
      • Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA) – John Hostage (15 minutes)
    • Task group reports (25 minutes)
      • Task Group on Vendor-Supplied Bibliographic Records – Alan Keely/Angela Jones for Cindy Spadoni (5 minutes)
      • Classification and Subject Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group – Suzanne Graham – (10 minutes)
      • Descriptive Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group – Melissa Beck (10 minutes)
      • Genre Terms for Law Materials Project – Yael Mandelstam (5 minutes)
    • Library of Congress update – Jolande Goldberg (20 minutes)
    • New Business (5 minutes)

Class KIA-KIX: A Revolutionary New Classification Schedule for the 21st Century (Program J5) – [Get program handouts]
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 — 2:30-3:15 p.m. – HCC-Room 311

Dr. Jolande Goldberg is working on the newest Library of Congress (LC) schedule, Law of the Indigenous Peoples of the Americas (Classes KIA-KIX), which is expected to be completed prior to July 2012. Throughout the schedule are links to primary sources in indigenous law. She will show how the indigenous law schedule can be utilized via ClassWeb, to support not just cataloging activities, but also collection development and reference services in exciting new ways. George Prager will then discuss his work at LC, reclassifying relevant parts of the collection into the new schedule.

  • Ajaye Bloomstone
  • George Prager
  • Jolande E. Goldberg

Classification and Subject Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group Meeting
Monday, July 23, 2012 — 7:15-8:15 a.m. – HCC-Room 301

  • Suzanne Graham, Chair, University of Georgia
  • Agenda
    • Welcome, review of mission and message from Ellen McGrath (AALL representative to ALCTS Subject Analysis Committee) (5 minutes)
    • Open Floor for Questions about Progress reports (5 minutes)
    • New business (50 minutes)
      • Call for additional volunteers to test record-identification strategies as part of Genre/Form Implementation Project-Yael Mandelstam (15 minutes)
      • Discuss new subject heading proposal for “Legal systems”-Suzanne Graham (15 minutes)
      • Discuss implications of RDA relationship identifiers for 600, 610, 611-Aaron Kuperman (15 minutes)
      • Other? (5 minutes)

Collection Development Committee Meeting (ALL-SIS)
Sunday, July 22, 2012 — 5:45-6:45 p.m. – Sheraton-Jefferson

Collection Development Roundtable (ALL-SIS)
Monday, July 23, 2012 — 5:45-6:45 p.m. – HCC-Room 300

Creating Legal Subject Headings (TS-SIS Program) – [Get program handout]
Sunday July 22, 2012 — 1:30-2:30 p.m. – HCC-Room 202

The Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) will grow and evolve only if librarians take an active role in its curation. Through hands-on practice, participants will work together to conceive, compose, evaluate, and submit a draft proposal for SACO of the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC), the editorial body that ultimately adds and changes terms in LCSH, via the TS-SIS Law Funnel. This program will involve participants in the kinds of discussions in which the LCSH editorial board engages.

  • George Prager
  • Paul Frank
  • Suzanne R. Graham

Descriptive Cataloging Policy Advisory Working Group Meeting
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 — 7:15-8:15 a.m. – HCC-Room 305

  • Melissa Beck, Chair, UCLA
  • Agenda
    • Breakfast
    • Welcome (Melissa Beck)
    • Reports:
      • AALL CC:DA Representative (John Hostage)
      • Professional Development Committee (Aaron Kuperman)
    • Discussion Item:
      • “Best practices for RDA” – Open planning session
        • Volunteers needed!
        • Space on TS-SIS Web site for resources?
        • Coordinate with Professional Development Committee
        • Specific RDA issues already identified?
        • Action items, time frame, etc.

E-Stats Collection for Your Non-Stacks Collection (Program A4)
Sunday July 22, 2012 — 10:45-11:45 a.m. – HCC-Room 304

Library analytics have become more important than ever in the electronic era. As budgets tighten and students demand more online resources, evaluating usage of such resources becomes a key issue in allocating expense funds. Statistical analysis is one way to determine whether a library is getting its best bang for the buck. However, obtaining and analyzing such statistics can be a scattered and challenging process. Speakers will discuss the ways libraries obtain patron usage statistics with a central focus on electronic resources. Participants will see demonstrations of third-party statistical gathering software, as well as learn how to gain access to statistics held and distributed directly by vendors. An overview of COUNTER and SUSHI compliance will also be presented.

  • Ian Kipnes
  • Ian Connor
  • Peter Charkallis
  • Sujay Darji

Education Committee Meeting for 2013 Annual Meeting in Seattle, Washington
Monday, July 23, 2012 — Noon-1:00 p.m. – Sheraton-Jefferson

Executive Board Meeting, 2011/2012 and 2012/2013 (outgoing and incoming)
Sunday, July 22, 2012 — Noon-1:00 p.m. – HCC-Room 204

  • Ismael Gullon, 2011/2012 TS-SIS Chair, Mercer University
  • Miriam Childs, 2012/2013 TS-SIS Chair, Law Library of Louisiana
  • Agenda
    • Attendance and welcome – Ismael Gullon and Miriam Childs
    • Executive Board Officers’ Reports
      • TSLL – Virginia Bryant
      • Introduction of all members
      • Secretary/Treasurer Report – Elaine Bradshaw
      • Approval of Minutes of June 7, 2012 Board Meeting
      • Chair Report – Ismael Gullon
      • Vice Chair/Chair Elect Report – Miriam Childs
      • Members-at-Large Reports – Suzanne Graham and Richard Paone
      • Immediate Past Chair Report – Pamela Deemer
    • Standing Committees Reports
      • Acquisitions – Eric Parker
      • Cataloging and Classification Committee Report – George Prager
      • Preservation Committee Report – Sally Wambold
      • Serials Committee Report – Wendy Moore
    • Other Reports
      • Education – James Mumm
      • Webmaster – Martin Wisneski
      • Awards – Michael Maben
      • OBS/TS Joint Grant Committee – Hollie White
      • Membership – Carol Collins
      • Professional Development – Aaron Kuperman
    • Old Business
      • TS-SIS Volunteer Survey – Miriam Childs
    • New Business
      • 2012-2013 Agenda – Miriam Childs
    • Next Meeting
      • Conference Call
    • Adjournment

Heads of Cataloging Roundtable
Monday, July 23, 2012 — 5:45-6:45 p.m. – Sheraton-Back Bay Ballroom A

  • George Prager, Coordinator, New York University

Helping Others Learn, Connect and Grow through Times of Stress (Program F4)
Monday July 23, 2012 — 1:15-2:15 p.m. – HCC-Room 304

Over the past few years, personal staff problems seem to be on the rise. Library employees are dealing with anxiety, depression, divorce, financial difficulties, and other issues which affect their productivity and ability to concentrate. Managers may find themselves spending extensive amounts of time coaching employees with personal problems at the expense of working through specific job duties. Good managers, like good counselors, understand the issues and needs, both professional and personal, of their staff. They also know how to help and motivate staff through difficult periods. Participants in this program will explore effective techniques, utilized by social workers, for counseling others who are going through difficult personal issues. Join us in a lively discussion with a librarian and social worker as we discuss, and role play real staff issues and explore effective techniques for resolving them.

  • Maxine Wright
  • Valerie Wright

Innovative Law Users Group
Saturday, July 21, 2012 — 8:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. – Sheraton-Commonwealth

See the ILUG website for more information.

Joint Research Grant Committee Meeting (OBS-SIS and TS-SIS)
Monday, July 23, 2012 — 7:00-8:30 a.m. – Sheraton-Gardner A

  • Hollie White, Chair, Duke University

Launching into RDA: The New Frontier (Program C2) – [Get program handouts]
Sunday July 22, 2012 — 3:45-5:00 p.m. – HCC-Room 306

Three U.S. national libraries are expected to implement the new cataloging code, RDA, beginning January 2013. Law catalogers who participated in the RDA testing process and training during the fall of 2010 and the spring of 2011 described their experiences at “The TS-SIS Hot Topic program: The RDA Decision and What It Means for Me and My Library!” in Philadelphia in 2011 (watch 2011 program on YouTube). The two law libraries represented at that program have decided to implement RDA well before the U.S. national libraries do so. Law catalogers from those libraries will share their experiences transitioning from AACR2 to RDA, and discuss the impact on workflow, productivity, OPAC displays, and information retrieval. If there are specific RDA-related questions you would like the presenters to address during the session please send them to Jean Pajerek at jmp8 [at] cornell.edu by June 30, 2012.

  • Ismael Gullon
  • Jean M. Pajerek
  • Patricia Sayre-McCoy

Linked Data, Law Libraries, and the Semantic Web (Program D2)
Monday July 23, 2012 — 8:30-9:45 a.m. – HCC-Room 302

Catalogers and systems developers might appreciate the potential of the Semantic Web, but it is difficult to see how a library’s catalog data can be linked in. Diane Hillmann, John Joergensen, and F. Tim Knight will provide an overview and live project examples of how Resource Description and Access (RDA), Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs), and Resource Description Framework (RDF) can push libraries’ records onto the web and extend catalog functionality.

  • Diane I. Hillmann
  • F. Tim Knight
  • John Joergensen

Membership Committee Meeting
Monday, July 23, 2012 — Noon-1:00 p.m. – Sheraton-Exeter B

  • Suzanne Graham, Chair, University of Georgia
  • Agenda
    • Welcome
    • Collect a pool of positive first-day experiences.
      Pull from a summer camp, new school, college, new job, new club. We want to engage our colleagues, but we need to figure out which approaches are effective and which are white noise or annoying.
    • Collect pool of success-in-TS-SIS stories.
      Share memories of your involvement in TS-SIS or vignettes that show the value of membership. Pull together a packet of stories to answer why should people join and be active in TS.
    • Review of other TS committees and their major projects and responsibilities.
    • Review regular, on-going duties of the Membership Committee.

Modeling Subject Authority Data: FRSAD Overview and Implementation Examples (PLL-SIS) (Program K5) – [Get program handouts]
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 — 3:45-4:45 p.m. – HCC-Room 306

The Resource Description and Access (RDA) description standard incorporated the Functional Requirements for Bibliographical Records (FRBR) and Functional Requirements for Authority Data (FRAD) models, with plans to include Functional Requirements for Subject Authority Data (FRSAD) in the near future. This program will use non-technical terminology to provide an overview of all three models and discuss how they may be harmonized to create one comprehensive model. The third model published in June 2011, Functional Requirements for Subject Authority Data (FRSAD), provides a clearly defined, structured frame of reference for relating subject authority records to the needs of the users and to allow for the development of international sharing and data use of subject authority records both within and beyond the library sector.

  • Ming Lu, Coordinator, LA Law Library
  • Patricia Sayre-McCoy, Monitor, University of Chicago
  • Athena Salaba, Speaker, Kent State University, School of Library & Information Science

New Catalogers Roundtable
Sunday, July 22, 2012 — Noon-1:00 p.m. – Sheraton-Gardner AB

The New Law Catalogers Roundtable for those new to the profession, and is designed as an open forum to discuss the issues, challenges, and intricacies of being a cataloger in a law library setting. All aspects of cataloging are fair game for discussion. If you just want to verify you’re approaching an issue correctly, if you’re looking for alternative ways of doing things, or just looking for the whys and the wherefores of legal cataloging, any question is welcome! “Veteran” catalogers are encouraged to attend as well!

  • Aaron Kuperman, Coordinator, Library of Congress

OCLC Users Roundtable (OBS-SIS) – [Get program handouts]
Monday, July 23, 2012 — 2:45-4:00 p.m. – HCC-Room 205

This program is open to anyone who uses OCLC products or services, and will feature OCLC’s Glenn Patton as the speaker. Mr. Patton will discuss OCLC’s new and enhanced services, as well as planned future developments. So far, his topics include: RDA plans; VIAF; linked data; and future plans for cataloging and metdata creation. Following the presentation the remainder of the time will be allotted to audience members to ask questions and to share comments, ideas, and concerns with the speaker and other OCLC users in the audience. Come prepared both to learn and to participate during this informative and interactive session. Whether or not you can attend this program, if you have any specific concerns that you would like Mr. Patton to address, please contact Karen Selden at karen.selden@colorado.edu.

  • Karen Selden, Coordinator, University of Colorado
  • Glenn Patton, Speaker, Director of OCLC WorldCat Quality Management Division

Passing the Baton: Option or Obligation? (Program K3)
Tuesday July 24, 2012 — 3:45-4:45 p.m. – HCC-Room 304

As the professional and paraprofessional librarian population ages, new members must be recruited, hired, and trained to manage and continue to develop our public and technical services departments and operations. Staff may be retiring, or absent from work for extended periods due to maternity, medical, military, and other leave needs. Regardless of job titles or how jobs may have changed over the years, this program will focus on concerns, issues, and implementation plans as staff retires or takes extended leave and “passes the baton” to newer members of the law library community. How do you recruit and train replacements? How do you seamlessly return to work after an extended absence? What historical information do you impart about institutions and departments so that the library can continue to be responsive to its ever-changing patron community? Program speakers will address technology tools and communications necessary for smoothly managing succession to accommodate retirements and/or planned extended absences. The program will conclude with an interactive discussion among presenters and attendees.

  • Ajaye Bloomstone
  • Margaret (Meg) Butler
  • Wendy E. Moore

Professional Development Committee Meeting
Monday, July 23, 2012 — Noon-1:00 p.m. – Sheraton-Dalton A

  • Aaron Kuperman, Co-Chair, Library of Congress

Rare Book Cataloging Roundtable
Monday, July 23, 2012 — Noon-1:15 p.m. – Sheraton-Berkeley B

  • Sarah Yates, Coordinator, University of Minnesota
  • Agenda
    • Introductions/Round robin reports: What are you working on? (Optional–you don’t have to talk if you just want to listen.)
    • Archives, in comparison with rare books and special collections. Special emphasis on description of archives. I highly recommend Stacy Etheredge’s great article on archives in law libraries in the latest Spectrum as background.
    • Open discussion or your agenda items!

RDA for Law Catalogers (Workshop W1) &nash; [Get program handouts]
Saturday, July 21, 2012 — 8:30 a.m-5:00 p.m. – HCC-Room 207

This workshop will explore cataloging legal materials under the new RDA rules, as well as showcase training materials developed during 2011-2012 by various AALL catalogers and trainers, staff at the Library of Congress, and members of the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC). The workshop schedule will include: a brief overview of theoretical background for RDA, the differences between RDA and AACR2, how to successfully navigate the RDA Toolkit, how to apply RDA to legal materials, hands-on cataloging exercises and examples, and an introduction to available law-specific training tools for RDA. (Separate registration fee required; June 15 deadline.)

  • Patricia Sayre-McCoy
  • George Prager
  • Paul Frank
  • Melissa Beck
  • John Hostage
  • Lia Contursi

Researchers Roundtable (OBS-SIS and TS-SIS)
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 — 8:30-9:45 a.m. – HCC-Room 204

Conducting research related to law library technical services is a growing area of interest. This program focuses on empirical and social-based research related to technical services functions. Speakers will present on recent research projects and outline steps for working with institutional review boards to get research related to human subjects approved. The session will end with a research workshop. In this workshop, more experienced researchers will be paired with novices to consult about research ideas and plans.

  • Hollie White, Coordinator, Duke University
  • Svetlana Kochkina, Speaker, McGill University
  • Susan Goldner, Speaker, University of Arkansas at Little Rock

Seminoles and Gators: Can Shared Patron Driven Acquisitions of E-books Overcome the Rivalry? (Program E3)
Monday July 23, 2012 — 10:45-11:45 a.m. – HCC-Room 304

This program describes the experiences of two state university law schools that joined forces to craft a shared patron-driven acquisitions program with a common vendor. Building a shared e-book collection among the state university libraries in Florida has been talked about for some time, though budget cuts and reorganization have prevented it from becoming a reality. Forced to look at creative ways to maximize acquisitions budgets, the law libraries at Florida State University and University of Florida worked with Ingram Coutts to adopt a shared PDA plan for legal monographs. By combining resources, the libraries were able to provide their users access to far more titles than would have been possible with individual plans. In this presentation, each school will discuss working together and with the vendor to create a shared profile, how they were able to exclude titles already owned or preferred in print, and how the PDA dovetails with each school’s collection development goals. They will also share how the plan impacted their individual budgets, workflows, and library management systems, as well as how it was received by users. A representative from Ingram Coutts will discuss the challenges and benefits of developing a single PDA plan that would meet the individual needs of two separate law schools. How these rival schools came together and whether they are still partners in this effort will be presented by three players on this unlikely team.

  • Edward T. Hart
  • Erin Gallagher
  • Sarah Pearson

Serials Standing Committee Meeting and Roundtable
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 — 7:15-8:15 a.m. – Sheraton-Independence Ballroom West

Provides an opportunity to meet and network with other law librarians interested in serials issues. This year’s roundtable will include discussion of electronic journal access, legacy print serials, and how the ongoing switch to electronic serials continues to affect our workflow and staffing.

  • Wendy Moore, Chair, University of Georgia
  • Agenda
    • Introductions
    • Approval of minutes from 2011 meeting in Philadelphia
    • Old business
      a. Exchange of Duplicates Program
      b. Other items?
    • New Business
      a. Call for program ideas for AALL 2013
      b. Other items?
    • Serials Roundtable Discussion
      a. In what ways are you acquiring and providing access to journals online? Such as through third party aggregator databases, full-image archive sites, individual title online subscriptions, or purchasing individual articles when requested, etc.
      b. What print serial related “passenger pigeons” are you maintaining in your library?
      c. What changes to workflow and staff duties have you made this year, because of decreased print/increased online access to serial related materials?

Task Group on Vendor-Supplied Bibliographic Records
Monday, July 23, 2012 — 5:45-6:45 p.m. – Sheraton-Jefferson

  • Cindy Spadoni, Co-Chair, UCLA
  • Agenda
    • Vendor reps – if any in attendance, what issues/questions for the Task Group?
      Vendors are excused from the remainder of the meeting – Thank you.
    • Proquest Legislative Insight (Alan) – What are they actually cataloging? PDFs or the actual documents? They are not following provider-neutral standards.
    • MOML Primary Sources – I & II (Melissa) – Records for Primary Sources I are finished and acceptable. Part II – working with Gale and these are nearly ready to go.
    • LLMC Digital (Alan?) – Ongoing issue with this set where serial records that include title changes are cataloged on one record that refers to a PDF where all the titles have been grouped together.
    • Provider-Neutral standard compliance issues – how to address?
    • Planning for RDA
    • Other Issues?

Technical Services by the Seat of Your Pants (PLL-SIS Program)
Monday July 23, 2012 — 8:30 a.m.-9:45 a.m. – HCC-Room 207

This program addresses the questions: What is ‘technical services’? What do technical services staff do? What can I expect from them? What will my institution—university, law firm, or government agency—expect from the library’s technical services department? How do I create and implement a successful technical services unit in my library when I have never done this type of work before? A panel of experienced technical services librarians – representing a law firm library, a government agency, and a university library – will describe how they learned technical services, how they developed successful technical services workflows, and how they manage and train technical services staff. Additionally, these pros will discuss how to identify and address the critical issues of their type of institution, including budgeting, providing access to resources, and managing contractors. Questions related to techical services can be sent prior to the program to Christine Korytnyk Dulaney at cdulaney@wcl.american.edu.

  • Bess Reynolds, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
  • Christine Korytnyk Dulaney, American University
  • Kurt Carroll, Library of Congress

Technical Services Group Meeting (PLL-SIS)
Monday, July 23, 2012 — 5:45-6:30 p.m. – Sheraton-Fairfax B

Primary topic will be RDA in private law libraries. Questions to be considered include: Have you begun to use RDA? If so what does it offer to the attorneys who are our patrons? Does it enhance the discovery of resources in any meaningful way? Why do librarians use so many acronyms?

  • Bess Reynolds, Co-chair, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
  • Janet Peros, Co-chair

Technical Services Management Issues Roundtable
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 — 5:00-6:00 p.m. – Sheraton-Republic Ballroom B

TS/OBS/RIPS/CS-SIS Joint Reception
Saturday, July 21, 2012 — 7:00-9:00 p.m. – Sheraton-Outdoor Patio (5th Floor near the pool)

  • Sponsored by Innovative Interfaces, Inc.
  • Suzanne Graham, Coordinator

TSLL Board Meeting
Monday, July 23, 2012 — 12:30-1:00 p.m. – Sheraton-Clarendon A

  • Virginia Bryant, Editor, George Washington University
  • Agenda
    • Introductions
      • New Board members: TS-SIS – Christine Dulaney; OBS-SIS – Victoria Sukhol
      • Thank you to Janet and Gwen, who are leaving the Board, for their advice and prompt responses to email discussions.
    • Thank you to the TSLL staff: Cindy, Michele, Julie, and Martin
      • Thank you to TSLL TechScans blog staff: Corinne and contributors (Marlene Bubrick, Yumin Jiang, Jackie Magagnosc, Jean Pajerek, Andrea Rabbia, Chris Tarr)
        Note: Andrea resigned as a regular contributor; Corinne looking for additional members to contribute
    • Annual report highlights: another year with on-time delivery
      • Michele Thomas worked with Cindy May this year as associate editor; appreciated George Prager’s two articles about his sabbatical adventures
    • Columnist changes within year:
      • Classification: Kate Wilko resigned (March 2012)
      • Preservation: Sally Wambold resigned (December 2011)
    • New columnists:
      • Collection Development: Karen Nuckolls (December 2011)
      • Management: Mary Lippold (December 2011)
      • OCLC – Karen Selden as new Chair of the committee (December 2011)
      • Private Law Libraries co-columnist: Erin Harper (December 2011)
      • Description & Entry co-columnist: Ashley Moye (March 2012)
      • Preservation: Maxine Wright (March 2012)
    • HeinOnline: Note that original agreement was for three years (December 2012)
      • No need to do anything – renews on yearly basis unless either party notifies other of desire to terminate
    • Open discussion: Michele: Search for new editor-in-chief
    • Adjourn

User Group Meeting (OBS-SIS)
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 — 10:15-11:45 a.m. – HCC-Room 207

This year the separate OBS-SIS user group meetings (Aleph, Inmagic, SirsiDynix, Softlink, and Voyager) will be held as part of one program. The first part of the program will be an Ex Libris Update. Amanda Schmidt (Ex Libris) will speak for approximately 45 minutes about Ex Libris’ next-generation library management service, Alma, including its accommodation of RDA. She will also provide status reports on the current Aleph and Voyager products. The remainder of the program will be used for the various user group members in attendance to split off into their appropriate groups and discuss any specific system issues of interest.

  • Ellen McGrath, Coordinator, University of Buffalo
  • Amanda Schmidt, Speaker, Ex Libris
  • Helen Lacouture, Speaker, Boston College (sharing BC’s experience with Ex Libris Alma library management service)

Website Advisory Roundtable
Monday, July 23, 2012 — Noon-1:00 p.m. – Sheraton-Dalton B

  • Martin Wisneski, Coordinator, Washburn University Law Library