Below is the slate of TS-SIS meetings, the TS-SIS sponsored programs, and other programs that technical services librarians may find of interest at the the 2018 AALL Annual Meeting, July 14-17, 2018, in Baltimore, Maryland.
- See also:
Updated 6/22/2018 – Send updates/corrections to: Martin Wisneski, Washburn University Law Library
- AALL Annual Meeting website for updates.
- Full list of programs and meetings at the 2018 AALL Annual Meeting
- All annual meeting program descriptions (218 KB PDF)
Saturday Evening Dine-Arounds
TS-SIS, OBS-SIS, CS-SIS, and RIPS-SIS will be holding their 2nd Annual Alphabet Soup Dine-Arounds on July 14th, 2018, in conjunction with the AALL Annual Meeting in Baltimore. You will meet with your host at the HQ Hotel Lobby at 6:45 p.m. (following the annual meeting Opening Reception) to walk over to the restaurants. Attendees pay for their own meals. Here are the restaurants and their hosts:
- Mother’s Federal Hill Grille with Paul Gatz
- Forno Baltimore with Karen Skinner
- Dukem Ethiopian (vegetarian options) with Jesse Lambertson
- Maisey’s with Jason LeMay
- Cazbar (vegetarian/vegan options) with Alyson Drake
- Sabatino’s with Bill Sleeman
- Phillips Seafood with Jackie Magagnosc
- Thai Elephant Wok (vegetarian/vegan options) with Carol Morgan Collins
Please sign up; space is limited (make sure to include your email address). Host contact information is at the bottom of the sign-up sheet.
The TS-SIS Silent Auction supports and helps to provide funding for the Marla Schwartz Education Grant. An amazing selection of items is available to bid on at https://tssisauction2018.wordpress.com/. Bidding is open until July 6, 2018 and the auction will continue live on Sunday, July 15, at 5:15 p.m. during the TS-SIS Awards, Silent Auction, and Meet & Greet in Hilton-Holiday Ballroom 1. To bid on an item:
- Click its picture on the main page.
- Review the item description.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and enter your bid in the “Leave a reply” box.
If you will not be attending the meeting in Baltimore, you can still join in the fun by bidding on the online-only items at
https://tssisauction2018.wordpress.com/category/online-only-items/. Donors will ship the online-only items to the successful bidder after the auction ends.
Questions about the auction can be directed to Emily Dust Nimsakont at firstname.lastname@example.org or (402) 472-1944.
TS-SIS Annual Meeting VIP
The Technical Services Special Interest Section (TS-SIS) will host Kathy Glennan as its VIP during the 2018 Annual Meeting. Kathy is the head of Original & Special Collections Cataloging at the University of Maryland University Libraries. She is also a music cataloging expert with over 30 years of experience. Since 2005 Kathy’s professional contributions have focused on the development of RDA: Research Description and Access. She has served on the RDA Steering Committee as the ALA Representative (2013-2017) and as chair-elect (2018), and has given numerous local, regional, and national presentations. Kathy will be presenting at the TS-SIS Hot Topic “RDA Toolkit Restructure and Redesign (3R) Project” session on Monday afternoon. Learn more about Kathy at the University of Maryland website and on her LinkedIn page.
Attend TS-SIS Business Meeting “Virtually”
The 2018 TS-SIS Business Meeting will be held online on Tuesday, June 19, 2018, beginning at 2:30 p.m. central time (learn more and register).
Proposed Bylaws Revisions
During the TS-SIS Business Meeting (Tuesday, June 19, 2018; see above), Section members will vote to adopt revised Bylaws. A vote will be held on each proposed change (or grouping of proposed changes–all changes involving the possessive form of a given word will be en bloc) separately. Meeting attendees may vote yea on some nay on some.
Many of the proposed revisions seek to clarify language by:
- removing possessive nouns
- more consistently referring to TS-SIS as “the Section” and AALL as “the Association”
- Article VI, Section 4: clarifies that this majority pertains only to Executive Board meetings, not Section business meetings;
- Article VII, Section 1: proposes that we allow for votes on changes to the committees to occur at any official meeting of the TS-SIS membership. Currently, we are limited to these votes at the Annual Business Meeting (usually in June or July);
- Article VIII, Section 1: prefers the verb “distribute” rather than “forward.” Clarifies that “the membership” refers to the Section membership;
- Article VIII, Section 2: clarifies the pronoun “they” by replacing it “the amendments.”
See: Red-lined Version with proposed changes (130 KB PDF)
Questions about rationale or procedure can be directed to: Suzanne Graham, email@example.com.
Saturday, July 14, 2018
- 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. – Innovative Law Users Group Annual Meeting – Hilton-Ruth Room (First Floor)
- 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. – Workshop W1: The Magic of MarcEdit (advance registration required) – University of Maryland School of Law – register through June 18, 2018
- 10:00-11:30 a.m. – Legal Information Preservation Alliance (LIPA) Board Meeting – Hilton-Marshall Board Room
- 1:30-2:30 p.m. – TSLL Editorial Board Meeting – Hilton-Poe A.
- 4:00-5:00 p.m. – Committee on Relations with Information Vendors (CRIV) Meeting (incoming and outgoing) – Hilton-Tilghman
- 5:00-6:30 p.m. – Exhibit Hall Ribbon Cutting/Opening Reception – BCC-Exhibit Hall EF
- 6:45-8:15 p.m. – Joint SIS Dine-Arounds (CS, OBS, RIPS, and TS) – Various Locations
Sunday, July 15, 2018
- 10:15 a.m. – Exhibit Hall Opens (refreshment break, 10:15-11:15 a.m.; closes 5:00 p.m.)
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- 12:45-2:15 p.m.
- Acquisitions and Serials Roundtable – Hilton-Carroll A
- Cataloging and Classification Committee Meeting – Hilton-Calloway AB
- Legal Information Preservation Alliance (LIPA) Business Meeting – Hilton-Key Ballroom 12C
- 1:00-2:00 p.m. – Committee on Relations with Information Vendors (CRIV) Vendor Roundtable – Hilton-Key Ballroom 9
- 2:30-5:00 p.m. – Program B8: APIs: What They Are and How to Use Them (Deep Dive) – BCC-Room 327-329
- 4:00-5:00 p.m. – Program C1: Give Me Your Knowledge! – BCC-Room 324-326
- 5:15-6:30 p.m. – TS-SIS Awards, Silent Auction, and Meet & Greet (business meeting was held online on June 19) – Hilton-Holiday Ballroom 1
Monday, July 16, 2018
- 7:30-8:30 a.m. – OCLC Update (OBS-SIS) – Hilton-Holiday Ballroom 3
- 7:30-8:45 a.m.
- Heads of Cataloging at Large Law Libraries Roundtable – Hilton-Carroll B
- Management Issues Roundtable – Hilton-Carroll A
- 8:45 a.m. – Exhibit Hall Opens (breakfast, 8:45-9:45 a.m.; closes 5:00 p.m.)
- 10:00-11:00 a.m. – Program D3: Data Mining for Meaning: The Law and Corpus Linguistics Project – BCC-Room 339-340
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – Program E7: Compressing an Elephant: How We Shrunk Acquisitions and Collections Workflows by Developing Our Own Best Practices for Operational Excellence – BCC-Room 324-326
- 2:00-3:00 p.m.
- 5:00-6:00 p.m.
- TS-SIS Hot Topic: RDA Toolkit Restructure and Redesign (3R) Project – Hilton-Holiday Ballroom 3
- OBS-SIS Hot Topic Forum – Hilton-Carroll B
- 6:00-7:00 p.m. – OBS-SIS Business Meeting – Hilton-Pickersgill
- 6:15-7:00 p.m. – TS-SIS New Member Roundtables – Hilton-Carroll A
- 7:00-10:00 p.m. – Thomson Reuters Customer Appreciation Event – Hilton-Key Ballroom
Tuesday, July 17, 2018
- 7:00-8:15 a.m.
- Professional Development Committee Meeting – Hilton-Blake
- TS-SIS Roundtables – Hilton-Carroll B
- 7:15-8:15 a.m. – Local Systems User Group (OBS-SIS) – Hilton-Brent
- 8:30-9:30 a.m. – Program G7: The PEGI Project: Preserving Electronic Government Information – BCC-Room 327-329
- 10:00-11:00 a.m. – Program H2: Telling Your Story: Using Metrics to Display Your Value – BCC-Room 343-344
- 10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – Program H1: FCIL Basics for Metadata Professionals: Collaborating to Ensure Access to Foreign and International Legal Materials (Deep Dive) (TS-SIS and FCIL-SIS) – BCC-Room 318-319/321-322
- 2:45-4:00 p.m. – Vendor-Supplied Records Advisory Working Group (VRAG) Meeting – Hilton-Holiday Ballroom 3