PUBLICATION OPPORTUNITIES FOR NOT ONLY FCIL-SIS MEMBERS
Updated by Mary Rumsey and Charlotte Daugherty (November 2022)
Writing for publication is a good way to contribute to the profession and it is not difficult. See Margaret Butler’s Ch. 28 Scholarship in Introduction to Law Librarianship (PressBooks 2021) for discussion and guidance on how to write for the profession. You may want to start with a book review. Publications that accept book reviews are noted below. Where possible, the “About” link for each entry below connects to submission guidelines. If not, it links to the publication itself.
In addition to the publications below, consider writing for your local law library chapter, or local or state bar publications. To ensure you have current information for any publication, check the website, or the masthead of the latest issue.
Trend or feature stories.
- Contact: Heather Haemker
- About: https://www.aallnet.org/resources-publications/publications/aall-spectrum/
Short articles of interest to academic law librarians.
AUSTRALIAN LAW LIBRARIAN JOURNAL (AUSTRALIA)
Articles of interest to those working within the fields of legal librarianship and publishing. Book reviews.
- Contact: Damaris Olea
- About: https://www.austlawlib.org/alla-journal
- For authors: https://www.austlawlib.org/notes-for-contributors
CALI (CENTER FOR COMPUTER-ASSISTED LEGAL INSTRUCTION)
Lessons on legal research. Authors must be affiliated with a CALI member law school.
CANADIAN LAW LIBRARY REVIEW (CANADA)
Articles of interest to Canadian law librarians. Book reviews.
- Editor: Nikki Tanner
- Features: Andrea Black; Erica Friesen
- Book reviews: Elizabeth Bruton; Dominique Garingan
- About: https://www.callacbd.ca/Publications
- For authors: https://www.callacbd.ca/resources/Documents/CLLR/CLLR%20STYLE%20GUIDE%202016.pdf
Blog associated with the Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Special Interest Group of the American Association of Law Libraries. Short items on any aspect of foreign, comparative, and international law or legal research. Book reviews.
Short articles reporting on conferences, library visits, exhibit descriptions, resource reviews, member news, etc.
GLL NEWS (GOVERNMENT LIBRARIES SIS)
Short articles of interest to librarians in state, court, and county law libraries. Book reviews.
An open access electronic legal publication committed to the publication and dissemination of high-level international, foreign, and comparative law research articles.
INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF LEGAL INFORMATION
Articles, International Association of Law Libraries conference papers, bibliographies, book reviews, documents concerning law and law-related information.
LAW LIBRARY JOURNAL
Scholarly articles on any aspect of law librarianship; some practical articles may be included. Book reviews.
- Editor: Tom Gaylord
- Book reviews: Susan Azyndar; Susan David DeMaine
- About: https://www.aallnet.org/resources-publications/publications/law-library-journal/
LEGAL INFORMATION MANAGEMENT (UK)
Articles on any topic of interest to British and Irish law librarians; book reviews.
- Editor: David Wills
- Book and product reviews: Julie Doran
- About: https://biall.org.uk/publications-2/legal-information-management/
LEGAL REFERENCE SERVICES QUARTERLY
Scholarly articles (including bibliographies) on legal materials and their use in legal research.
- Editor: Alex Zhang
- Information for authors: https://www.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?show=instructions&journalCode=wlrs20
Research guides on US, foreign, international, and comparative law; short pieces on other topics of interest, including tech reviews.
- Contact: Sabrina Pacifici
- About: https://www.llrx.com/about-llrx/
PERSPECTIVES: TEACHING LEGAL RESEARCH AND WRITING
Electronic journal that is published two times per year. Its focus is on teaching legal research and writing to first-year law students; however, it has also published a few articles with a foreign, comparative, and international law slant.
- About: https://lawschool.thomsonreuters.com/faculty-resources/#section-resources
- For Authors: https://static.legalsolutions.thomsonreuters.com/static/pdf/perspectives-author-guide-jan-2021.pdf