PUBLICATION OPPORTUNITIES FOR NOT ONLY FCIL-SIS MEMBERS
Updated by Mary Rumsey (April 2019)
Writing for publication is a good way to contribute to the profession, and it is not hard. You may want to start with a book review. Publications that accept book reviews are noted below. Where possible, the “About” link for each entry below connects to submission guidelines. If not, it links to the publication itself.
In addition to the publications below, consider writing for your local law library chapter, or local or state bar publications. To ensure you have current information for any publication, check the website, or the masthead of the latest issue.
Trend or feature stories.
- Contact: Heather Haemker
- About: https://www.aallnet.org/resources-publications/publications/aall-spectrum/
Short articles of interest to academic law librarians.
Australian Law Librarian Journal (Australia)
Articles of interest to those working within the fields of legal librarianship and publishing. Book reviews.
- Contact: Dorothy Shea
- Book review contact: Amanda Magnussen
- About: http://www.alla.asn.au/communication/all/
- For authors: http://www.alla.asn.au/communication/all/notes-contributors/
CALI (Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction)
Lessons on legal research. Authors must be affiliated with a CALI member law school.
Canadian Law Library Review (Canada)
Articles of interest to Canadian law librarians. Book reviews.
- About: https://www.callacbd.ca/Publications
- For authors: https://www.callacbd.ca/resources/Documents/CLLR/CLLR%20STYLE%20GUIDE%202016.pdf
- Editors: Hannah Steeves; Stef Alexandru
- Book reviews: Kim Clarke
Blog associated with the Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Special Interest Group of the American Association of Law Libraries. Short items on any aspect of foreign, comparative, and international law or legal research. Book reviews.
GLL News (Government Libraries SIS)
Short articles of interest to librarians in state, court, and county law libraries.
- Contact and about: https://www.aallnet.org/gllsis/news-events/newsletter/
An open access electronic legal publication committed to the publication and dissemination of high-level international, foreign, and comparative law research articles.
International Journal of Legal Information
Articles, International Association of Law Libraries conference papers, bibliographies, book reviews, documents concerning law and law-related information. Book reviews.
Law Library Journal
Scholarly articles on any aspect of law librarianship; some practical articles may be included. Book reviews.
- Contact: Tom Gaylord
- About: https://www.aallnet.org/resources-publications/publications/law-library-journal/llj-policy/
- Book reviews: Benjamin J. Keele; Nick Sexton
Legal Information Management (UK)
Articles on any topic of interest to British and Irish law librarians; book reviews.
Legal Reference Services Quarterly
Scholarly articles (including bibliographies) on legal materials and their use in legal research.
- Contact: Michael Chiorazzi
- Information for authors: https://www.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?show=instructions&journalCode=wlrs20
Research guides on US, foreign, international and comparative law; short pieces on other topics of interest, including tech reviews.
Perspectives: Teaching Legal Research and Writing
Electronic journal, published two times per year. Focus is on teaching legal research and writing to first-year law students, but Perspectives has published a few articles with a foreign/comparative/international law slant.
- About: https://info.legalsolutions.thomsonreuters.com/signup/newsletters/perspectives/
- For Authors: https://info.legalsolutions.thomsonreuters.com/signup/newsletters/perspectives/perstyle.aspx (includes contact information for editors)