Welcome to the African Law Interest Group page. This group is open to anyone who is a member of AALL. We encourage you to join the FCIL-SIS African Law IG Discussion Group in My Communities and become part of our ongoing conversation. If you are unable to attend the annual meeting or if you have any questions about this group, its mission, or how to join, you may also reach out to the interest group chair for additional information.
Repository of African Primary Source Holdings in Print
This effort is a compilation of African Primary Source Holdings in Print in the United States and Canadian law libraries. This project is anticipated to be a repository of holdings to assist researchers across the world to locate primary resources much like the successful FLAG project. The repository includes the following materials originating from across the African continent:
- Official Gazettes
- Session Laws
- Law Reports
- Statutes and Regulations
These materials are available in their original official languages including English, French and Portuguese. This project builds on the 2014 initiative spearheaded by Alison Shea and Victor Essien (Former Chair of the African Law Interest Group) to compile the print holdings of African primary source materials across all US law libraries. Visit the Repository of African Primary Sources Holdings in Print google document to view the holdings.
So far, there has been a good response from the FCIL librarians in populating the spreadsheet. The next steps for the project will be discussed at the virtual African Law IG’s meeting at the Annual Meeting on July 20, 2020. Contact the chair of African Law IG, for more information.
- GOALI – Research for Global Justice by Yuksel Serindag
- Members of the African IG identified Top African Legal Research Resources. The list includes links to open access resources as well as subscription databases.
- Yemisi Dina, Customary Law in South Western Nigeria Newsletter (July 2016)
- Jane Williams, UPDATE: Sources of Online Legal Information for African Countries, GlobaLex (April/May 2015).
- African and Asian Regional Organizations by Evelyn Ma and Victor Essien at AALL Annual Meeting in July 2014
- Yemisi Dina presentation – AALL 2013