The Law Funnel Project is an initiative of a working group established by the Classification and Subject Cataloging Policy Advisory Group (CSCAG), Cataloging and Classification Standing Committee, American Association of Law Libraries (AALL).
Fill out the online form below to submit proposals for new subject headings, genre/form terms, or classification numbers, or to propose changes to existing headings. Funnel administrators will review proposals before distributing them to the CSCAG electronic list for blind comment. After CSCAG review, the funnel coordinator will submit vetted proposals to Library of Congress, Program for Cooperative Cataloging, Subject Authority Cooperative Program for consideration.
By tapping into the range of experience of AALL members and the collection strengths of law libraries across the country, this funnel aims to leverage the collective wisdom of the law library community, with the goal of crafting proposals for the most widely beneficial terms and classification numbers.
Christopher Thomas, UCLA
- Select the appropriate MARC 21 tag for each field.
- Do not explicitly code for an initial subfield in any field (i.e., $a, $w, $z).
- Use the dollar sign $ to note a delimiter before the subfield code (e.g, $x, $z).
- If proposed heading is 100, 110, 111, or 130, supply the appropriate indicator; 150s-151s do not require indicator; apply this instruction to 4xxs and 5xxs also.
- Do NOT include a second indicator under any circumstances!
- 1XX, 4XX, or 5XX headings with subdivisions require keying the subfields by using a delimiter ($) and the appropriate MARC subfield code.
- Add diacritics preceding the affected letter (e.g., M(acute)exico) as appropriate. Please save time by copying and pasting from the list of diacritics (new window will open). Using this lists helps prevent typos and provides a uniform name for the diacritic.
- When citing geographic coordinates spell out the coordinates (e.g., 47deg. 35 min. 34sec. N).
- For additional help go to the Guidelines (new window will open) for formulating LCSH proposals.