COMPETENCIES + SKILLS
- Formulate a collection development policy.
- Select high-quality, relevant resources.
- Plan expenditures managed to budget priorities.
- Manage the acquisitions workflow.
- Perform collection evaluations and analyses.
- Evaluate and negotiate vendor contracts and licenses.
- Develop and implement resource sharing arrangements.
- Appraise and implement acquisition technologies and systems.
ORGANIZATION + ACCESS
- Organize library resources appropriately for user access.
- Catalog all types of library resources.
- Ensure consistency of metadata classifications.
- Design library systems and services to provide optimal access to resources.
- Evaluate and deploy library systems, discovery layers, and other access systems.
PRESERVATION + RETENTION
- Implement appropriate techniques for preservation and conservation, including policies and procedures for digitization of library resources.
- Establish and follow policies for collection retention and withdrawal of materials.
- Evaluate and implement best practices for special collections.
- Plan disaster recovery strategies.
- Create organizational knowledge management policies and procedures.
- Identify and implement knowledge management technologies and strategies.
- Link library resources and organizational resources using tools such as enterprise search.
- Establish and manage an institutional repository and digital archives.
INFORMATION GOVERNANCE + RISK MANAGEMENT
- Identify and utilize the basic principles of information governance, including developing expertise in enterprise and life cycle management of information.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of intellectual property rights, rights management, privacy, and other legal issues.
- Assess reasonable risks to the collection and protect its security, integrity, and authenticity against internal and external threats.
- Utilize technology to create efficient use and governance of information.