COMPETENCIES + SKILLS
VISION + STRATEGIC PLANNING
- Demonstrate strategic planning processes and best practices.
- Formulate a strategic plan framework including vision, mission, and goals.
- Prepare an operational plan for implementing strategic plan goals.
- Measure achievement of strategic plan goals and alter as needed.
BUDGETING + PROCUREMENT
- Use generally accepted accounting principles.
- Monitor budget allocations, expenditures, fund balances, and related financial activities.
- Perform cost analyses and return on investment (ROI) calculations to determine resource allocation.
- Track national cost and spending trends related to library and information resources.
- Establish efficient and legally compliant procurement guidelines.
- Demonstrate bargaining and contract negotiation skills.
FUNDING + DEVELOPMENT
- Maintain knowledge of and pursue internal and external funding opportunities.
- Compile annual budget requests using past financial records, detailed rationales, future needs, and economic indices.
- Advocate for institutional support to ensure maintenance and growth of the library.
- Establish effective networks and partnerships for resource sharing, collaboration, and consortial purchases.
- Monitor national trends in library funding and market price fluctuations.
BENCHMARKING + DATA ANALYSIS
- Deliver key metrics of business operations, user analytics, and ROI to stakeholders.
- Select and use appropriate data analysis tools and methods including visualization, text analysis, and statistical modeling.
- Identify and apply analytics to business issues.
- Create and communicate effective analytical and benchmarking reports.
- Develop hiring expertise including recruitment tactics and interview skills.
- Implement policies and procedures that comply with federal and state employment law.
- Create training programs that empower employees to fulfill daily job functions, advance to other positions, and adapt to institutional changes and industry shifts.
- Demonstrate supervisory best practices including fostering teamwork and clearly communicating goals and expectations.
- Evaluate organizational structure and workflows to maximize efficiency and job performance.
- Design a staffing succession plan.
- Describe fundamental project management processes, methodologies, and tools.
- Analyze project requirements and develop a clear statement of the project’s scope.
- Plan, organize, and manage resources to successfully complete specific project objectives within a specified time frame.
- Establish effective team structure and delegate areas of responsibility appropriately.
- Monitor project progress, control risks, and realign project parameters if needed.
- Communicate project information to stakeholders in clear written and verbal formats.
- Apply industry standards for design, facilities, and space management.
- Implement inventory control policies and procedures.
- Evaluate and monitor building infrastructure systems.
- Develop emergency preparedness and business continuity plans.
- Establish security policies that align with those of the parent organization.
- Monitor national trends in library facilities, emergency preparedness, and security.