To support the leadership development needs of members in accordance with the AALL Strategic Directions goal that law librarians will be recognized and valued as the foremost leaders and experts in legal information, research, and technology. To achieve this purpose, the Leadership Development Committee will:
- Promote and support growth of leadership development programs and activities
- Explore new leadership trends and best practices to create leading-edge learning opportunities
- Leverage new technologies to expand delivery of leadership training
- Work with AALL Continuing Professional Education Committee and other AALL entities as appropriate to identify leadership training development needs
- Explore and review policies, practices, and funding mechanisms used by other organizations to train new leaders
- Support identification and tracking of potential leaders
- Continue development of AALL Leadership Academy program (including mentor assignment)
- Develop other methods that might be used to mentor and develop potential leaders
- Study costs and pursue ways to provide quality, affordable leadership programming for members
The committee has two major initiatives: the AALL Leadership Academy and the Mentor Match Program. Subcommittees are appointed to handle the initiatives. Overall, the work of the Leadership Development Committee is steady throughout any given year. The committee also tries to put on at least one webinar and submit at least one program proposal for the Annual Meeting each year. No matter the year, a monthly conference call is highly recommended. Note: Time commitments are estimates from past assignments and can change with new projects or requests for assistance from the Executive Board.
Membership on the committee shall normally be for two years, except that the vice chair and chair will each serve three years. The returning member selected as vice chair at the end of the first year shall serve in that capacity in the second year, and become the chair of the committee for an additional third year.
The committee shall normally consist of a chair, a vice chair, six members, and a non-voting Executive Board and staff liaison.
STRATEGIC DIRECTIONS COMPLIANCE
- Goal I: Knowledge
- Goal III: Leadership
RELATIONSHIP TO OTHER COMMITTEES/STRUCTURES
The Leadership Development Committee will work collaboratively with other AALL committees, SISs, chapters, and other entities to provide leadership development opportunities. The chair of the Leadership Development Committee serves as an ex-officio member of the Continuing Professional Education Committee, and the chair of the Continuing Professional Education Committee serves as an ex-officio member of the Leadership Development Committee. The director of education will act as a bridge to the efforts and initiatives of both committees.